35

Dialogue chapter. Won't be much narration

Rue

"Are you scared of me?" I inquired. "And Jeff?"

"What?" Her face scrunched up in confusion. I sensed her heart rate increase.

"Are you scared of us?" I asked again.

"Why are you even asking that Rue? Why would I be scared of my own kids?" She sounded offended.

I went to the kitchen, grabbed a glass and filled it with water and ice then walked back towards the dining table.

"I know what I am mom, there's no point in hiding it anymore." I said handing her the glass of water, knowing that this would be a tough revelation for her.

"What do you mean? You're my daughter." My mom said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

I know that in her head, she knew exactly what I meant by that. She just didn't want to admit it out loud.

"I know I am half-vampire mom. I found out a few weeks ago." I bluntly announced.

She sucked in her breath and her eyes dilated.

"N-no you're not, are you insane?!"

"Mom, I can literally read your mind. I know you already know what I am. There's no point in denying it. I already know you told Jason that I am half-vampire and I know you know that Jeff is a vampire. You raised me as human because you did not want me your only blood-related child to live the life of a 'blood sucking demon'." I said flatly.

"And how in the world would you come up with such stupidity, vampires aren't real!"

I let out an exasperated sigh and rolled my eyes before transforming into my vampire state. I watched as mom's eyes widened in horror and her left eye became a little sparkly. She tensed up, and gripped her glass of water a bit too hard.

I reverted back to my human state and mom and I had an intense staring contest for what felt like ever.

Awkwardly, Mom took a sip of water and said, "Rue, I'm sorry for not telling you earlier. It's just I-."

I cut her off. "Don't apologize. I know you have never raised any vampire kids before. I mean vampires are folklore. They aren't supposed to be real. I am the definition of defying the odds and you--raising Jeff and I makes you a part of the definition as well."

"Rue." She breathed out.

"Don't worry, I haven't killed anyone either." I bit my lip—thinking about the recent incident—holding back the tears that wanted to fall down my eyes.

"You did a great job at raising Jeff and I on your own. I know dad would have been very proud of you for raising such incredible children."

"Rue I don't know how, or why you ended up like this. I am human, your father— even though I don't remember him— is human." My mom sounded desperate. Like she was trying to convince herself that me being what I am, is impossible. "This may be God's way of punishing me, but I don't know what I've ever done wrong."

"Mom." I placed my hand on her palm. She flinched at first, but then tensed up with ease.

I'm not sure if it's safe for me to tell her that dad is still around and that I've seen him a few times because what if she wants to see him? What if she wants to go out and look for him, forgetting about the dangers of the ferals, and not knowing that Hunter could be out there wreaking havoc. It's not safe.

But hiding things from her won't be safe either. Mom needs to know.

"Mom, dad isn't gone." I looked away from her. "I-I have actually seen him a few times recently with Jeff."