37

Rue

I can't do this shit anymore.

I'm sleeping peacefully, like a baby in my bed for the first time in a while, only to have my phone ringing maniacally. I placed it on vibrate, but unfortunately with my new acquired ability to sense any noise no matter how far it is, I STILL FREAKING HEAR MY PHONE.

I contemplated whether or not to answer it, or let it ring, but I really want to go back to sleep so I decided to answer it.

I was greeted by Jeff shouting into the phone.

"Rue, what did you do!"

That one sentence immediately woke me all the way up. I sat up from my bed and looked out the window, scared that I'd done something crazy again.

"What do you mean what did I do? I did nothing?" I tried to remain calm although I was in a complete state of panic.

"Why is mom calling me telling me she loves me?"

"Oh my god." I tightly gripped onto my shirt and let out a sigh of relief when Jeff didn't say I did something vile.

"She was being soft with me last night after dinner as well, she hugged me, cried in front of me, and even said she loved me." I told him. "It was a bit weird, but it felt nice ya' know?"

"But why though, did you do something to her?" Jeff questioned.

Of course Jeff would react like this. He and my mom haven't really had the best relationship as he always had her concerned for leaving days at a time then randomly showing up like nothing happened. They would argue a lot because of that, not only that, she feared him. It was completely out of character for her to be affectionate, especially to him.

"No, I didn't do anything." I debated on if I should tell him what happened yesterday. About how she allowed King and Hayley into our home, and about how I told her the truth about most of the things that's going on.

I know Jeff would flip out on me, but to me, telling mom the truth especially after close contact with King not once, but TWICE, was necessary.

"Well." My pitch was higher. "Maybe I've told mom some things that I shouldn't have. But I did it for a reason, you'd never guess-."

He cut me off. "What did you tell her Rue?"

The harshness of his tone caught me off guard and made me a bit nervous.

"So basically she bumped into King and Hayley twice, and the second time they ended up coming over for dinner." I said. "So, long story short I told her about what's currently going on and how she needs to not contact them again."

"You didn't tell her about dad being alive, right?"

"Maybe."

"Rue I am asking you this again, you didn't tell her about dad being alive, correct?"

"Yes." I whispered into the phone.

"Fuck." Jeff spat into the phone. "Go see if she's in her room now, if not, call me back immediately!"

Then the phone went silent.

Why would mom not be in her room?

I placed my phone in the pocket of my sweatpants, and wiped my face with my t-shirt in a way to release tension.

I walked out of my room and went into my moms room to see if she was here.

"Nope." I groaned.

I looked at the time and it was 11:23 a.m. Maybe she's at work.