30

Rue

"Rue? When did you get home? I haven't seen you in days." When I opened my eyes, my mother was hovering over me, waving her hands in my face.

"You look a little different. Stressed may I say. Is everything okay?" She continued

"What?" I moaned as I sat up.

A sharp pain came in my back as I stretched my arms out.

"Ouch." I rubbed the spot that stung.

"When did you get here?" She asked again.

"I- I don't remember. Probably this morning?" I rubbed my eyes then looked towards the time.

6:42 am.

"Well, you better get your ass up and go to class."

"What's today?"

"Sunday."

"What month is it?"

"December 8th, why?"

I noticed how many days I missed and those are days that I will never be able to make up. I have finals today and for the rest of this week, I'm guaranteed to fail. I don't even care at this point.

I'll try again next semester.

"Mom," I sighed. "I think I'll just take the year off."

"Take the year off?" She frowned.

I know this isn't something she would want. I know she wants me to be better, but there's so much going on with my life that I just don't find school to be my top priority at the moment. I need to go to school when I can put my entire focus on school.

Actually, no. I'm a fucking dhampir. It's not like I'm gonna die anyways and with time I can easily build up my assets with a minimum wage job.

My mom then began laughing hysterically, "You're hilarious Rue, I'll go prepare some breakfast while you get ready."

I watched as she walked away and once she was out of sight, I ran upstairs and looked in the mirror.

"Was this all a dream?" I asked myself.

Was it all fake? Did I not get captured by Jason's father, meet my father, and almost die all in the same day? How did I even get here? I don't even remember walking home.

I washed my face and brushed my teeth, placed my hair in a bun and walked downstairs into the kitchen to see my mom chopping up tomatoes.

"So, uh." I scratched the back of my neck. "What are you making?"

"I'm just making an omelette for you." She responded. "I don't have the time to prepare a big breakfast like your brother does." She paused everything she was doing and looked up at the ceiling. "Speaking of, do you know where he's at? I haven't seen him for almost 2 weeks."

"I'm not sure actually." I thought back to yesterday.

All I remember is Jason shouting at me, hurting my feelings, then I raged and blacked out.

"It Had been reported that 8 bodies were found East of Danderville deep in the Forest next to Highway 13. According to detectives on the scene, each body was drained of blood then brutally mutilated. It has not been confirmed whether this has been an animal attack, or an attack committed by a human. Stay tuned as we will have more updates later." A woman's voice blared through my mom's radio.

"What the hell is going on in this town." My mother groaned as she turned off the radio. "It's making my skin crawl."

"Did she say eight bodies?" I said to myself.