Chapter 12

I accidentally uploaded chapter 21 so just for that I'll update chapter 12

This is a filler chapter so it's going to be from Lola's point of view!

Lola

We've literally been arguing the whole ride downtown. As annoying as it is, and as he is, I actually find it comforting.

"Look, look, turn this corner." I pointed towards a dirty alleyway that I always passed by with my cousins when we were younger

I pretty much do know the names of all the crackheads in our neighborhood. I know because my parents were barely home when I was younger so they've always asked my cousins to come over and watch me. They were literally only 5 years and 1 year older than me so we all had a childish mentality to leave the house, go downtown and start some shit.

I was 10, Daniel was 15 and Christopher was 11. We were bored inside of the house and it was steaming hot that day, so we decided to go bother some people we knew wouldn't do anything besides yell at us. The easiest victims were the crackheads.

We took a bunch of water balloons and water guns and prepared for war.

But things changed when I started to feel bad for them.

"It's not right." I told my cousins.

"What do you mean it's not right Lola." Daniel asked.

"Yeah Lola, stop being a baby." Christopher teased.

It was the eyes. The look in their eyes made me feel bad for them. I have it so good-we have it so good. The drugs took over their lives and now that's all they see. Our neighborhood doesn't have a place where they can rehabilitate and get their lives back together.

What can I do?

I remember going up to them and having some very deep conversations about regret, anger, family, love, childhood, and innocence. Some of these people didn't want their lives to spiral down like that, but things just happened. It was so horrible.

Since that day I've always come here and spoke to everyone. They weren't as bad as everyone made them seem.

Yes I do call them crackheads, and I know it's a degrading name, but it is exactly what they are and you can't deny the truth. They are people. But they are crackheads.

As we turned the corner into the alleyway my heart sunk as I looked at the condition of it

There was nothing there. The blankets they always had were gone. Naomi, she always had this little photo frame of her past self taped on the wall.

That was gone.

The can they started the fire in, was gone.

I hopped out of the car and ran to get a closer look at everything. My throat began to close, my head began to pound, and my eyes began to tear.

Am I going to cry?

"Oh no." I literally feel like I am about to faint.

"Maybe they got arrested?" Hunter walked up behind me.

"No. No no no, that's impossible. The police wouldn't bother them. They understand their situation. That's why they allowed them to create their home in this alleyway! They wouldn't just have a change of heart!" I turned around and looked Hunter in the eyes.

He cringed at the sight of me.

"Are you crying?" He groaned.

"Noo." I sarcastically dragged out "I'm fucking sweating through my eyes."

"I can't deal with human emotions. It's so disgusting." I heard him say under his breath.

I rolled my eyes and ignored him and walked deeper in the alleyway.

With every walk, was every memory I held with every man and woman I talked to.

"I really just want to make my family proud again. But they don't want anything to do with me."

"My daughter, she was such a pain in the ass. I remember her always crying and yelling at me saying drugs were gonna be my downfall. Looks like she was right."

"My husband divorced me. My mom died, my father died, I'm alone. This was my only coping mechanism.

"Watch who you hang out with."

I sat down on the floor and placed my head in between my hands.

"Hey, I have a question." Hunter sat down beside me.

"If you're here to judge me, I don't want to hear it." I muttered.

"No, but I just wanted to know why this place and these people hold so much value to you. These people are clearly nobodies. Their lives are already fucked up. And look, I barely know you but I know you enough to know you're not one of them and you're not going to be one of them."

I began telling him about all the stories I've been told for the past 9 and a half years. I saw his eyes soften up and that hard exterior slowly cracking.

"Wow." He took a deep breath.

"We have to get to the bottom of this." I began getting myself together. "I'm good at theories, I swear I can figure this out. And once I figure this out I will go to the higher authority and cause an end to these murders."

"How do you know they were killed? What if they just relocated?"

"They didn't relocate. There have been multiple murders happening over town recently. People who are aware of them-which is anyone who lives in a house with a TV or a radio- pretty much knows not to be outside after 10. Vampires come out at night,"

He cut me off with a laugh.

I frowned at him.

"You believe they're real?" He tried to contain his laugh.

"It's a theory." I spat at him.

"Anyways before I was rudely interrupted," I continued. "Since people aren't out at night that makes these people the easiest victims. Nobody really cares about them. If they die it would just be counted as an overdose and vampires are smart enough to know that."

"I don't believe vampires are real." Hunter smiled.

"Yeah? I don't care what you believe in."

I am very passionate about my theory. I swear to everything that vampires are real and I am going to get to the bottom of this and prove everyone who doubted me wrong. There's no way that a normal human could commit such a heinous crime. No normal human would drain someone of their blood.

I tried to consider that possibility last month but I couldn't wrap it around my head that someone would do that.

I'm right and I know I'm right.

I'm going to get to the bottom of this. I swear.

I'm going to find out who killed Daniel and Christopher.

I'm going to find out who killed my parents.