36

Earlier that day

Jason

It looks normal. My home looks normal. I thought that it would be completely destroyed by Hunter at this point.

I leaned against a tree and took in my surroundings. I also mentally prepared myself for bumping into my father, and also Hayley. My main focus is to get Samuel, if that means fighting my father, and fighting Hayley as well as the housemates and council, so be it.

There were no guards outside. There were no animals on the farm on the far left side of the yard.

It might be a trap.

I sat down on the ground against the tree criss crossing my legs. I placed my two hands together, closed my eyes, and focused my breathing on locating Samuels scent.

It was a weak scent, meaning he was inside. Most likely in the prison we have down in the basement next to the execution room my father created.

I tried locating any other scents and those were faint as well.

The only scents that I couldn't locate were Hayley and my fathers.

"Okay." I breathed out. "That might be a good thing."

I stood up and slowly began walking towards the place I once called home.

As I entered, I was greeted by one of the little vampire girls who lived in my home.

"Hey Prince, what are you doing here? I haven't seen you in sooo long!" Isabella chirped.

"Shh." I placed my finger over her lip, and bent down so I could be equal to her height.

"I'm here on a secret mission." I said childishly. "You need to make sure no one knows I'm here, because if they do, the present that I have— I won't give it."

"Present?" She whispered.

I nodded my head and smiled.

"What is the present, Prince?"

"It's a secret."

"Is it something that all the children here would enjoy?"

"Yes, it is. Now don't tell anyone I'm here so you guys can get the presents okay?"

"Okay Prince, I'll keep your secret." She held out a fist to me.

We fist-bumped and I began walking further into the house.

I feel kinda bad about lying to her, but this is for her safety, and the safety of the innocent that are living here. Besides, she's only 4. 4 year olds have bad memory anyways.

Much to my surprise, no one was in the council room which leads to the basement. I began feeling a weird sensation run down my skin as I realized it can't be this easy to retrieve Samuel. There's something that has to go wrong, something has to pop up that would delay the rescue of Samuel.

I continued my path towards the basement, much to my surprise, the door to the basement was open.

And because of this, I was on guard. There was no way the basement door would be open because my father always keeps it locked.

With each step I took down into the basement, the more anxious and nervous I got. I was being careful, and I was aware of my surroundings, but these men my father works with are trained. I could be walking right into a trap and don't know it.

I even considered turning around at one point, but this is Samuel. The only person who I've grown up with that I can truly trust. I'd consider him to be the last of "us", because when this ends, I don't know if there will be "us".