39

Rue

We've been running for what feels like ever. At this point, I'm not even sure if my father has received the signal Samuel sent out, nor am I sure that we are running in the right direction.

We all stayed silent as we ran, in fear that talking may distract, and slow us down. We ran through dozens of trees and stray branches were cutting through our clothing and to our skin.

My back was slowly beginning to feel better. But for some reason, I felt safe in Jason's arms. The warmth of his body on mine—although I was frightened— was soothing in a way. The familiarity of it, and remembering the times before we got into this argument was therapeutic to me.

Unfortunately, that dream was short lived when Jason put me down, and our running came to a halt.

"The smoke." Jason breathed heavily. "It cleared."

I didn't even notice that the smoke that came off of Hunter's skin cleared up the further we ran. That must mean we are safe and we got away, right?

Jason put me down and started scoping out the area from where we were standing.

"We definitely ran in the wrong direction." Jason mumbled.

I knew it.

"Samuel, are you okay?" Jason asked.

Samuel was hunched over, breathing heavily as well. "Yes Prince. I'm fine."

"No, you don't look fine." Jason placed a hand on his back, and with his other hand, pulled out a blood bag. "Here."

"This isn't your vegan blood, is it?"

"No." He rolled his eyes.

Samuel took the blood bag and Immediately consumed the blood that was in it.

My stomach growled at the sight of Samuel eating, and I began craving blood as well. However, I didn't want Jason to see me drink blood, I actually don't want anyone to see me drink blood. It's weird.

The first time I consumed blood, I was in the back of a van in isolation, and the second time I consumed blood, that was the result of me slaughtering a whole family. Yeah, I think I'd stay away from blood for now— or at least until I'm alone. I can survive off human food for the least.

I noticed Samuels weight slowly increasing as he consumed the blood.

This shows that he isn't fully healed yet, and he's done all that running, and he's also been using his eye.

"Samuel, are you sure you're okay?" I just wanted to make sure he wasn't lying.

"Yes." He gave me a half-smile that didn't make me feel any better.

"You said you wanted to heal naturally. Why is that? Would that allow your strength to return stronger? Or.." My voice trailed off.

"It wouldn't really make a difference." He answered. "Honestly, when I get injured, I'd rather just heal naturally. It makes me feel human in a way. Consuming human blood just speeds up the process, that's all."

"Oh. Okay." I looked away.

"Are you okay though? Is your back feeling better?"

I stretched back and cracked my back. No pain. The scratches on my face and neck were healed as well. If only these holes in my clothes could "heal" up too.

"I'm fine." I said.

"We have to come up with a plan." Jason said firmly. "Hunter is a demon-vamp and Francis said that he will kill anything and anyone, so fighting is clearly not an option."