PROLOGUE

She ran out of the room and stumbled down the stairs.

I scared her way too much.

I chuckled. Humans just look adorable when they're scared.

Ok so, let's pause for a moment. I am a spirit. Well, spirits don't haunt humans but I'm kinda different. Most spirits have purposes while I don't and thus, many consider me a rogue. That's not the truth though. All spirits loose the memories of their past lives and so did I. Eventually, they find themselves encountering our very scary leader. That's exactly what happened to me but...

Flashback

I opened my eyes, for a moment everything was apparently fine until-

Until I realized I was hovering over my body. My dead body to be specific.

Something in my brain clicked, it was like someone was beckoning me.

I found myself flying, higher and higher, above buildings that threaded into the sky, above mountains and into the clouds.

The clouds though, were solid. I landed on one and glanced around. There were people, who just like me, were translucent.

I didn't understand anything.

"Newbie here?" A guy asked me.

"Uh, yeah" I was a nervous wreck now.

"Here, let me help you to the castle" the guy said.

He flew and I followed him to what he called the castle. Though it was a solid white mass from outside, the insides looked normal.

"So, do you remember anything?" The guy chatted.

"Well, no"

That was the truth. I didn't even remember my name or how I died.

"No worries, that's normal" he said cheerfully.

He then led me to a corridor, I could see translucent tapestries hung on the walls.

The corridor opened to a huge hall, in the middle of which, sat a translucent figure of a girl on a throne.

"A new member, yay" She squeaked pulling a lollipop from her mouth.

"Who is she?" I asked the guy.

"Our Queen"

What? She barely looked older than nine.

"I know what you're thinking, even I had doubts when I first arrived." He chuckled.

Then he lowered his head to her and so did I.

"I guess you've realised you're a spirit" She smiled at me.

"You mean a ghost?" I asked.

"Oh no no, ghosts are just lost souls, you are a spirit just like the rest of us here" she said.

"Why can't I remember anything?" I questioned.

"Because you shouldn't"

"Do you know my name?" I asked.

"Yes, I know all details about you and your past life, your name is Cyrus" She replied.

"How old am I?"

"You were 23, you won't age anymore" She was starting to sound bored now.

"How do you know?" I asked bluntly.

"I'm busy, let's just get on the business now." She said finally losing her temper with a dramatic eye roll.

"Ok" I whispered.

"Aiden, if you have a job at your office then keep him there, humans have enough saviors nowadays, I won't send him down there." She said fo the guy who brought me here with a dismissive wave.

Aiden walked me out to the opposite side of the castle.

"Where are we going?" I asked him.

"To my office, you can be my secretary, I've always wanted one."

A week passed, I worked with Aiden and found out he has the duty to organize the files where they keep information about the spirits' past lives.

I, from the start, never got along with the place or the people except Aiden, we became good friends but my curiosity ruined that. I was curious, to know who I was. So, right after a week of my death, I snuck in the enormous hall where they kept the files. They were hovering piles, stacked one above the other.

Cyrus, I just kept looking for a file with that name. There were tons and I didn't even know what my surname was.

Then, I heard his voice.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Aiden was right behind me.

"I.." I was guilty now.

He was the incharge of this place and was my friend at the same time. Breaking in here felt like betraying him.

"Run before they find you"

That took me by surprise. I was expecting an out burst or something but he just seemed concerned.

"What?"

"If they find you here, Queen will chain you for eternity. Run now and never come back!"

And so I flew. Never asking any other question. I came back to earth. Since that day, I wander across the earth, doing whatever pleases me.

End of flashback

So, yeah, I'm Cyrus, I'm a spirit and I haunt humans because it's fun.