三十八

38 - determined selves

The sky has turned its blanket from sky blue, to a beautiful and perfect combination of dark blue, red and orange. The colors of twilight. The already bustling district of Yoshiwara has started to become even more packed with people, searching for all forms of entertainments.

Shops and stalls were decorated with artificial radiance, as if forgetting that night has come. That glow just made the dark alleys even more apparent to the eyes, completely hiding everything on it.

The Blossom Pillar has continued her search, to no avail. No sign of devil sighted even a little. She has completely lost her target.

She sighed, glancing one last time around her and decided to meet up with her fellow slayers that she left abruptly before.

She turned her heel around, and just as she step forward, as if on cue, it was all red.

Just a moment ago, it was all just normal lights, giving their glow to radiate the night

Just a moment ago, it was all just normal lights, giving their glow to radiate the night. But all of that changed in an instant, like in some kind of dream one would have.

Basking in the red illumination, a gust of wind blew past her. A sense of déjà vu filled her up, bringing a chill down her spines.

Please, save him. Save us.

The voice of her dream came back to her, as flower petals filled her views. And with that, the smell of the demon. Her eyes glow up a little as she tried to shield herself from the sudden burst of flower petals that appear out of nowhere.

As her view cleared up, she couldn't stop herself from gasping aloud. There in front of her, an old, tall cherry blossom tree stand tall at the center of the district.

She could swear that this beautiful tree wasn't there before.

Slowly, she tensed up, putting her guard up. She couldn't detect the demon anymore, but it was certainly here, in this district.

Stepping toward the tree, she could feel the gazes of people on her. The look of wonder, as if looking at something strange or out of place. Anxiety grow inside her.

Keeping her head low, she decided it will be the best to stop her investigation as there were too many eyes watching her movements.

Just steps apart from the tree, she held out her hand, taking a petal falling down on her palm. Gripping it softly, she left the area swiftly.

Not far from there, a pair of eyes were fixated on the pillar.

"Oh, demon slayer. So you've come for us."

"Hey, hey. Do you know? Under the cherry-blossom trees on the center of the district, there are corpses buried in it."

"Really? Are they the corpses of the girls missing lately?"