三十五

35 - preparation before infiltration

"Before that, put down that girl first."

Chihiro pointed to Aoi, the girl on his shoulder, her expression stern and full of concern.

"No, I'm taking her too. She may not be useful, but she is still a member of the hunters."

Those words cut something deep within the girl.

"People have their own circumstances, so I would like you to stop poking around insensitively! Let go of Aoi-san!"

Before Chihiro could even comment, Tanjirō screamed, surprising even her.

Uzui, annoyed, glared down at him.

"...Tepid. So tepid. You're a giant mess and plain out tired. The demon hunters are just getting weaker and weaker."

Tanjirō stepped to the front.

"WE WILL GO IN AOI-SAN'S STEAD!"

In an instant, on each side of the Sound Pillar, stood Zenitsu and Inosuke, ready to go. Uzui looked side to side.

"I was just on my way back, but I still got some strength left. I can head out!" The boar headed boy boasted enthusiastically while pointing at himself.

"L-l-l-l-let go of Aoi-chan..! Even if you're some kinda muscle monster, y-y-y-you aren't t-t-t-taking a single step..!"

Well, one of them wasn't that ready.

Trying to threaten the clearly stronger man, Zenitsu trembled greatly, his heart panged loudly against his chest.

Sensing a terrifying aura erupted fron the Pillar, instinctively, Tanjirō spread his arms protectively in front of the girls, while they shivered behind him. Inosuke ready his stance, already wanting to punch the hell out from the bigger man while Zenitsu cried angrily at him.

The Pillar looked at them with a menacing glare, as if scanning them from head to toe.

His fellow pillar looked at him warily, preparing if he will do something unpredictable.

"...Oh, okay."

In that instant, the intensity on the air dissolved, leaving the others dumbfounded by what the man just said.

"...Huh?"

He's clearly stepping down without a fight.

Tanjirō looked at him skeptically, still haven't believe what he just heard.

"Then I'll have you guys come with me. But-"

He brought his hand up, his palm making contact with the girl's buttocks, resulting in her shrieks.

"Don't you dare defy me, punks." the pillar said playfully as he put the girl down. She quickly run back to her friend's side.

"Wahhhh!"

"Aoi-san!"

The smaller girls flock around their just returning friend, crying together with Kanao stood awkwardly.

The Sound Pillar shrugged it off, as Tanjirō, Zenitsu and Inosuke walked closer to the pillars.

"Well, as long as you go with me in this mission, I'm fine with having these brats go with me."

The smaller pillar looked up at him tiredly. "Yeah, sure. But don't bother up those girls anymore. Especially without Shin-chan's permission. You don't want to... get her mad, right?"