04 - the dancing woman and the son of the coal burner

The woman dance so gracefully, so elegantly, no wasted movements on every moves she did. The steps so soft, grazing the ground lightly.

It was as if her dance entranced them, trapped in a white world, inside it only her and them, watching her for eternity.

How the woman would looked at him with a soft gaze yet fiery, it spent chill down his spine. The burgundy haired boy gulped down his saliva, crimson colored his cheeks.

This smell.. He wanted to smell it forever. It soothed his pained heart, as if nothing in this world can harm him.

It felt like.. I'm inside mother's embrace..

The images of his family formed on his mind, reminscing his old, happy life on that mountain, living as a coal burner. A humble life, yet he won't ask for another.

But, just like it was on purpose, a scent interrupted his smell bud, scattering his precious memories to pieces.

A scent he so, so, despised.

A scent he encountered on that fateful dread day. Lingering inside his once warm house, now so cold.

A scent he, once again met under the lightful, colourful and blinding city —even putting the beautiful moonlight to shame— of Asakusa, Tokyo.

Kibutsuji.. Muzan!!

Colours drained from his face, a look of hatred and dread replacing the look of awe that decorated his face just seconds ago. The scent of a man-eating demon, their sworn nemesis, the scent of Kibutsuji Muzan filled his nose. His thoughts clouded.

Why would a demon dance here, under the cherry-blossom trees?

Just like that man made us dance on his palm.

He looked at the woman who came to a stop, as she finished her wonder filled dance. His mouth moved before he can even think.

"A... Demon...?"

Before a second even passed, Tanjirō's hand was on his sword's handle, releasing it from its place. A black, shining blade came to view, reflecting the sunlight. He can't stop himself, leaping towards the demon in front of him.

The Breath of Lightning and the Breath of Beast user startled out from their trance at the running boy, looks of surprise on their face.

The Insect Pillar took out her hand before pulling it back, decided to wait how the event unfold, an expression of worry still on her face.

As his blade almost come in contact with the dancer's neck, she stepped back, a big step, distancing her with the suddenly attacking boy.

Before Tanjirō could even react, or even realizing that she just stepped back, the woman pressed her foot hard, leaving marks on the soil. She swung one of her hands back, grabbing one of her sword put carefully on her back waist.

She took a deep breath, eyes never leaving the boy with burgundy hair, both on their fighting stance.

Tanjirō on the other hand, has smelled that smell. A thread of opening has connected to his opponent's neck.

Both looked at each other, waiting for the other to make their move.

Taking his chance, Tanjirō finally break their staring contest, leaping straight to her, following the thread.

"Breath of Water: First Style! Water Surfac—"

As if on cue, the woman move her sword holding hand slowly. Followed with her legs. She is dancing.