二十三

23 - her happiness

"...Really?"

Sabito quickly turned his head to the side, completely embarrassed, missing Giyū's conflicted expression.

"W- what? Is it weird?" He frowned a little, his cheeks still flushed crimson. His hand scratches his neck.

"...Since when...?"

This time, the ravenette looked down, his hands gripping to his kimono, awaiting his friend's response.

His friend, still avoiding eye contact, looked up to the sky, feeling nervous.

"I wonder when... It just suddenly came to me? That kind of feelings. At first, it was just mere admiration. How a younger girl like her is so strong, both mentally and physically. But..."

"But?" Giyū whipped his head to the side, finally looking at his friend.

Sabito looked down from his star-gazing activity, looking at nothing in particular as a small smile graced his face, his eyes full of warmth.

"I just feel... That I want to protect her. To stay by her side. I know what she feels a little. We both... lost our family, after all. And I know, deep inside, she struggle, a lot. I want to be someone she can depend on, I guess?"

The conflict inside Giyū's heart started to violently scream inside him.

He know. He know what Sabito feels.

That's what he feels too.

But, for sure, Sabito will, and can protect her.

Better than him.

He loosened his grip on the cloth, trying to put a smile on his face.

"You're her childhood friend, right? What about you?"

He widened his eyes, the grip tightened once more. "What do you mean?"

The flustered look on his face has gone, replaced with a serious look as he gripped Giyu's shoulder.

"I'm asking you, what do you feel about Chihiro?"

His mind was in chaos.

What does he feel towards Chihiro?

Isn't it obvious?

"She's just a dear, best friend of mine."

His lips turned upwards, reassuring his other best friend.

Sabito observed him closely. Staring to him, right through to his heart.

They stayed silent for awhile, before Sabito decided to let go of him.

"Really?"

"Yeah."

Sabito wiped his suspicious stare off, putting his smile back again. Giyū looked back at him, smiling back at him.

She's better off with someone that actually deserves her.

"Days after that, Kaguya-sama went back to pick Chihiro up, back to the Sakurajima household."

He still looked at nothing in particular as he continued his story.

"I know for sure that Sabito can make her happy. But—"