Chap 53- Idol Athletics Tourney

Everything started with a single phone call.

*Rrrrrr..... Rrrrrr*

"Hello? This is BTS's manager. What? You're where?"

The members peer curiously at my face as I hung up the phone.

"Did something happen? Your expression...." Yoongi asks worried, but he wasn't showing any emotions.

"Guys, this it. We're confirmed for ITC, the Idol Track Championship" When I broke out the news the members looked beyond shocked.

The members are gathered around a whiteboard with 'ITC. What are out goal?' written at top.

"The ITC is a competition especially for idols every holiday season. And the main event is.....the relay race" I starts to explain.

"We've gone before.... But we've never had anything to show for it" Namjoon mentions.

"Right. We're always left empty handed!" Taehyung says getting reminded of that time.

"These are my honest thoughts for ITC! Let's just try to make it through the most without any injuries and enjoy the experience!" I try to cheer them up.

"You're so right, manager. I agree wholeheartedly. Safety first, after all" Yoongi agrees with me.

"I also agree! Sometimes losing is winning" Seokjin chimed in.

An usual heavy voice suddenly interrupts.

"Manager. Hyungs. Where's you're ambition?! It doesn't have to be 1st place, but I want to bite down on a medal"

Jungkook's passionate spirit lights a fire in the others. Their eyes lights up.

"That's the idea! This kid's a genius" Seokjin pats Jungkook's back.

"Right. Let's come home with something in our hands this time!" Taehyung says excitedly.

"Let's do a cheer, everyone. Bangtan Bangtan Bangbangtan!" The other members follow Jimin's lead into a spirited cheer.

"I see how it is.... Okay, let's talk about what events you guys are confident in" I moved on with our discussion.

"I used to do taekwondo. I think I'm relatively good at sports." Jungkook says.

"I can ride any board except a whiteboard. Hahahaha..." Seokjin jokes.

"You know I was a basketball shooting guard, right?" Yoongi adds.

"I learned Taekwondo and Kendo when I was younger" Jimin mentions.

"I used to play tennis! I even ranked in the top 3 in a tournament" Hoseok says proudly.

"What?! Wow, Hobi! This is a new side of you" Namjoon praises Hoseok.

"I happened to be sketching when a teacher asked us if we were interested in tennis....haha" Hoseok fills us with how it started.

Everyone turns to look at the members who haven't answered yet.

"...... I stuck with brain exercises" Namjoon says scratching his head awkwardly.

BE PROUD NAMJOON!!!

"I'm really confident in eSports!" Taehyung says shrugging.

"Okay! I have an idea of who's good at what... Now all that's left is to train like champions!" I finished the discussion.

T-5 Days

"Shout the slogan! Begin!" I say.

"No injuries" Yoongi reminds them.

"Fair and square!" Seokjin calls out.

T-3 Days

"Today we're going to focus on passing the baton" I explain.

"Wow, it's harder than it looks..... Kookie try handing it to my other hand" Jimin sighs as they practiced.

"Like this?" Jungkook asks.

T_1 Day

"As I'm sure you all knew, only 4 people can compete in the relay team" Finally the last practice.

After a week of serious training, the members are ready. Their eyes burn with resolve.

"Okay, the results in. Based on our anonymous votes and an impartial rock-paper-scissors match......"

It's finally D-day. The day of the competition.

"They're holding the Idol Track Championships at the gymnastic arena this year, huh?" Yoongi asks as we reached our destination.

"I haven't been here since the last performance I saw" Namjoon says.

"I wonder if the day will come that we get to have a concert here at the gymnastics arena" Yoongi suddenly asks out of nowhere.

"....... Wow, it's huge. This place is massive" Namjoon awed.

"Haaaaaa. The energy here is supercharged. Everyone came with the goal of winning, huh?" Taehyung asks as he looked around to see many idols.

"Yeah! Our goal for today is to won! Let's run our hearts out. Run, run, run" Hoseok cheered.

. ..........................................................................

"Alright, our final program is the 400 meter relay....." The MC announces.

............................................................................

"We have BTS who showed a lot of potential in the preliminaries. They failed to take the lead, however-"

"Bangtan! Park Jimin, you're doing great!" The MC's voice were cut off by Seokjin's deafening cheers.

"BTS's second leg V, takes the baton from Jimin. So speedy, but it's not enough to overtake the 1st place team" The MC says through the mic.

"RUN, RUN, RUN!!!" Namjoon joins Seokjin.

"2nd place J-hope of BTS hands off the baton to the late leg of their team, Jungkook!"

Suddenly......

"Oh? What's happening?! Jungkook of BTS!! He's passed the 1st place runner! The tables have turned!!" The MC's voice gets louder as he announced with excitement and shock.

"Woooooowww!!" Yoongi yelled.

"Look at him casually glancing over his shoulder as he runs.... BTS's Jungkook has finished first!!!!"

"Jeon Jungggggg Koooook!" Jimin yells.

........and now.

"Jungkook! What was the key to BTS's 1st place win today?" The MC asks Jungkook.

"I just.......went for it. I just participated" Jungkook answers cheekily.

We just smile, knowing the many meanings behind the word 'just'.

"Hey, Jungkook. What were you really thinking when you passed him at the end?" Namjoon curiously asks as we were on our way back to the dorm.

"Hmmm.... 'I want to eat hotteok?" Laughter fills in the van at Jungkook's remark.