CHAPTER FORTY THREE

Adrian's POV

Adrian's POV

"Doc, she won't talk to me and I don't know what to do! It's been two months and every time I call, she either rush me off the phone or sends me to voicemail. I've sent text messages. I've sent cookie bouquets. Flowers. Nothing. She won't even acknowledge that she has received any of it. I don't think she loves me anymore. This is tearing me up. I can't sleep. I can't function. I'm thinking about just driving to her house and just sitting in her driveway until she talk to me."

I threw myself back on the couch, tears pouring down my face. Dr. Kennison rushed to my side and gave me a box of tissue.

"OK Adrian. I'm confused. I thought you were... well not that you can't... but I thought you and Trev... ok wait... what are we talking about?"

"My Big Mama! She still won't talk to me! And it's not even my fault!"

Ok, I know yall think I'm being extra and dramatic but yall can kiss my ass. For real. My Big Mama is my favorite girl, outside of my mama. Having her to freeze me out is really bothering me. I told Dr. Kennison about the argument between Big Mama and my daddy and how she won't talk to me until he apologizes.

Dr. Kennison was trying not to laugh as she consoled me.

"Adrian, honey, have you told your father how this is making you feel?"

"Noooo...", I whined.

"Ok, let's call him."

I pulled out my phone and called him on speaker.

"Tiny, I'm not spending any more money on you. I just bought you a truck and put some money in your account," Anthony said dismissively. 

"Commander Rucker, hi. This is Adrian's psychologist, Damaya Kennison. How are you?"

"I'm fine, Dr. Kennison. Is everything ok with Adrian?" He changed his tone to concern. 

"Well, he's fine physically. However, sir, Adrian is having a rough time now."

"Rough time? How? Son, what's wrong? Do I need to come up there?" 

"Daaaddy... she still won't talk to me. I've done everything I can but she still won't answer."

"Adrian, who? I thought you were... wait... are you talking about some girl? Who are you talking about?"

"Big Mama! And it's all your fault! Just apologize to her!"

There was silence on the phone for a while.

"Adrian. Are you telling me that you are sitting in therapy, costing me $150 an hour, crying about your grandmother?"

"Daddy! You know how I feel about Big Mama! And you know how she feels about "that woman". You need to apologize!"

"Son, I need you to hear me and hear me good. I'm not apologizing to that woman! I was going to but she did something petty so now it's on."

"What did she do?"

"Somehow she got into my truck. She left opened cans of sardines in it and then smeared Vaseline all over my windows."

Dr. Kennison giggled and tried to cover it up.

"How do you know it was her? It could be anybody. It could've been Germaine. Do you remember Thanksgiving?"

"That heathen is back in jail. And I know it was her because she sent a video of her doing it. She had somebody recording her while she talked shit. Probably old man Scott or one of the damn black golden girls. Called me a punk bitch. Do you know how long it took to get that smell out of my truck and how long it took to get the grease off my windows? But I got her ass back."

"Daddy!"

"What? She didn't have to do that. I was going to apologize to her mean ass. She went too far. So I used my key while she was at church and filled her house up with full sized cut outs of Dionne and put posters on the wall. I put in speakers that play nothing but Dionne Warwick songs. And I took all of her wigs except the one that started it all."

Dr. Kennison gave up the pretense of trying to be professional and was hollering at this point. She was wiping her eyes as I sat there in disbelief.

"Daddy, why? You know she's old. Let her win. Please."

"No, son. I can't. I'm sorry you got caught in the crossfire but Connie took it there when she messed with my truck. Now is there anything else? I need to head to the hardware store for my next assault if she decide to strike back. Think I'll dig up all of her rose bushes and put them in my yard."

"Bye Daddy. Love you."

"Love you too, son. Come on, Fred!"

Dr. Kennison looked at me and said, "This session is free. I gotta visit your family. My goodness."

"I'm calling Big Mama."

I dialed her and put it on speakerphone. She finally picked up.

"Tiny, if you're calling me about your long head Daddy, you can forget it! I done had the pastor come to the house to get rid of this evil ass spirit your greasy ass pappy done let in here! But I got something for his pale yellow ass."

"Big Mama! Yall gotta stop. Do yall care what this is doing to the family? To me, most importantly?"

"Baby, you know Big Mama love her some Tiny, but that punk bastard done stole my wigs! And I just got my Meg wig. So now it's war. I just picked up his dry cleaning and I got my sewing kit. I've already sewed all of the button holes on his shirts closed, now I'm cutting holes in the pockets of his dress pants and making the hems three inches shorter."

"I give up. All I wanted was peach cobbler and this is what I get."

"Tiny, you know how to make peach cobbler. It's as good as mine. Now I got to go. I got to get into my fatigues and go to booty boot camp right after I drop off these clothes back at the cleaners."

She hung up on me and I looked at Dr. Kennison. She was fanning herself with tears running down her cheeks.

"Adrian, please invite me to your family reunion. I've got to see this live."

"Doc! I'm in pain here!"

"Adrian. You talked to your grandmother. She said she loves you and she complimented your peach cobbler. Until the two of them decide to call a truce, that's all you're getting, boo."

"I guess. Now I gotta go make one and get some ice cream. I gotta go, Doc."

"Cheer up, Adrian. It's almost summer. You're going to Italy. When you come back, this may be all over."

"You're right. Thanks for listening. Have a good one, Doc."

As I left, I got a text from Big Mama. It was a head shot in this long wig and a bandana with a camouflage tank top. Great. Now she's in the Survivor video. I needed comfort food and quick! I'm thinking fried chicken, mac and cheese, collard greens to go with my peach cobbler and some diabetic iced tea.