(Revised) Chapter Five

Wandering into the dining hall, Cam stretched her arm and twisted her wrist, making sure it didn't hurt. She had been given the okay to take off the bandage that morning, and she had only just gotten around to it. It had only been a couple days, and already her wrist was healed.

I guess that ointment actually must have worked, Cam thought to herself.

"This is packed with nutrients!" was all she heard as she entered, looking up to see Coran trying to feed the Paladins an abomination on a plate.

"Oh, it smells disgusting!" Hunk complained.

"I know!" Coran said cheerfully. "That's how you know it's healthy."

"Coran, we're on a planet with fresh herbs and spices. If you'll excuse me, I'm gonna head to the kitchen and spice things up."

Hunk left and Lance and Keith refused Coran's food, leaving him to feel disappointed.

"Ah, Cam, there you are! That wrist heal up nicely?" Coran asked, approaching her with the pile of disgusting food.

"Yeah, just uh... don't come any closer, please," she begged. "For the sake of my nose."

"Where's Pidge?" Shiro asked.

"He's probably checking on those prisoners we rescued from Zarkon," Coran told him, stuffing some food in his mouth. Obviously it was edible if Coran was eating it, but Cam didn't trust his taste. At all. "They'll all be waking soon in the infirmary. Open the hatch, now! Food lion coming in!" He made airplane noises and tried to get food in Shiro's mouth.

"No," was all Shiro said.

"You don't know what you're missing!" Coran said as Shiro left.

"I don't think I want to find out," Cam told him. She sat down next to Keith. "I hope Hunk's food at least smells good. I don't know if I could eat something that doesn't. I'm not a very adventurous eater in the first place, so I don't know."

"Well hopefully you'll eat. You didn't eat any of the goo," Keith said.

"I don't like the texture. It's like spoiled milk."

Keith made a grunt of acknowledgement.

"Did you sleep last night?" Lance asked. "You said you haven't been sleeping well."

"Well for starters I didn't know anyone was paying such close attention to me," Cam said. It was the first time in a while someone had. "But yeah. Allura let me sleep in her room with her and we had a sleepover and did face masks. Or she did face masks, and I put up with it."

"That sounds fun," keith said, only slightly interested in the conversation.

"It's not really my cup of tea, but I'm happy if those I'm close to are happy generally, so..."

An alarm went off, and all of them got up quickly, rushing to the entrance to see who was approaching. It was a short little alien with horns.

"What is that?" Keith asked.

"I don't know what it is," Allura told him. "Maybe it's a local Arusian. He's approaching the castle."

The little guy yelled and hid behind a rock as the doors opened and everyone approached.

"Doesn't look too dangerous," Lance said.

"You never know," said Keith, summoning his bayard. Cam put her hand on his hand holding the bayard, putting it down so he would hopefully get the message.

"No, Alteans believe in peace first," Allura said. "Let's welcome him."

"You sure believed in peace first when you took Lance down by the ear," Cam brought up. Lance whined and held his ear while Allura turned red and stammered out excuses.