Fourty-Six

"Commander Blythe!" a voice called out. Startled, I turned around. Who was Commander Blythe?

A woman maybe in her mid twenties with a dark pixie cut walked over to the throne, where King Alfor sat. She bowed.

"Yes, my King. What is it that requires my assistance?" Commander Blythe asked.

"Nothing. I simply wanted you to meet my daughter, Allura," Alfor said, holding up a baby Allura. "From now on, you will be her personal bodyguard while continuing your duties as head guard."

Blythe looked at the baby. At first her expression was slightly hateful, but she sighed and her expression softened. "Sir, I'm not sure I'm quite cut out to be a babysitter," Blythe said.

"Nonsense," Alfor said. "Besides, it'll teach you how to have a child of your own." Alfor looked expectantly at the woman.

"I-" She stuttered slightly. "I can't have children."

Alfor seemed slightly surprised. "You can't?" he asked.

"No," she admitted. "I am the leader of the royal guard, meaning I am the leader of the Carulems on the Royal guard, and Carulem leaders..."

"They can't have children as long as they are leader, and as long as you are head guard, you'll be the Carulem leader," Alfor finished. Blythe nodded and she walked over to pick up Allura, who Alfor happily handed over.

"But, if I am ever dethroned as Carulem leader, I will admit that I've always had... sort of a soft spot for children," Blythe explained.

"I know you do. I've seen you around children on your patrols. You always seem so happy around them," Alfor said, smiling as he watched Blythe play with his daughter. Allura happily giggled and reached for the woman's hair.

The scene changed to two adults, a male and female, sitting on some grass while a small toddler with strawberry blonde hair played with toys not to far away. The woman was obviously Blythe, her hair was just grown out a little longer, and the man looked quite a bit like the toddler, with strawberry blond hair but forest green eyes instead of the toddler's crystal blue.

Everything was silent and peaceful as Blythe closed her eyes, but then a scream pushed her into action. She jumped up and started to running where she heard the scream, only to see the toddler being carried off by two Galra.

I guess her mom instincts kicked in or something, because in the blink of an eye her toddler was back in her arms and the two Galra were passed out, each at least twenty feet away from where they originally were. The man rushed up behind Blythe, who was holding the sobbing three-year-old in her arms, bouncing up and down.

"I think it's time," the man whispered to Blythe. The woman closed her eyes, and a single tear ran down her face, followed by a couple more.

She kissed the toddler's head. "I love you, Athena," she said softly. My eyes widened upon hearing the name. It couldn't have been coincidence that the toddler had the same name as my mother and looked extremely similar to my mother. She was just a toddler, sure, but the toddler still shared incredible resemblance to my mother.

As the scene changed again, I looked around. Grasslands stretched all around me, and I couldn't see anything else other than grass swaying in the wind. I looked to my right and saw Blythe standing next to me.

"You need to wake up now, or else you never will," she said. Before I could even say anything, I fell unconscious. Or, back into consciousness?

All I know was that I woke up in a dark place coughing and wheezing. Seeing a figure above me, I got out my bayard.

"Who are you?" I asked. I wheezed again.

"Calm down," the figure said. "I'm not going to hurt you." She knelt down next to me.

"Who are you?" I asked again.

"My name is Krolia. I've heard all about you from Keith."

I brightened at Keith's name. "Keith?" I asked. "Where is he?"

"He's asleep. He barely got any sleep because he insisted on watching you, but I finally convinced him to rest," Krolia said. I nodded and looked over to where Krolia pointed, seeing another figure laying on the ground.