Thirty-One

Season three episode two: Red Paladin

Nothing was on the plan for the day except for trying to find a Paladin for the Black Lion. Everybody was gathered in the lounge, discussing what to do.

So far, people were arguing about Keith piloting the Black Lion.

"What about Millie?" I heard someone bring up suddenly I was fully awake and I sat up on the floor that I was previously laying on.

"What?" I asked.

"Yeah," Hunk said. "You're the most sensible one here, plus everyone trusts you probably more than they trust themselves."

"Millie does seem like a good option," Allura said, thinking about it.

"I don't care what anybody says, I'm not leaving my lion," I growled.

"But if you are the correct fit for the Black Lion and nobody else can pilot it, you will have to pilot it," Allura said.

"But what about my lion?" I asked. "What happens if she goes beserk and the next pilot dissapears? She trusts me, and I don't know who else she'll trust."

"She does have a point," Coran said. He looked at Allura's face and quickly started stroking his moustache. "But! If the Black lion does accept her, then she should move to the Black Lion."

It was now my turn to glare at him instead of Allura.

---

"So who goes first?" Hunk asked.

"Should we draw straws?" Pidge asked.

"I have it," Coran told us. "I'm thinking of a number between one and fifty. Allura, you go first, Millie is second, Pidge is third, and then the others."

"Wait, don't we get to guess the number?" Lance asked.

"But I already know the number," Coran said.

"Allura, just go," Lance said.

Allura went in and stayed there for a few minutes. It was quiet until Allura came back out, not having been able to pilot the Lion.

"Millie, it's your turn," Coran said.

I sighed and went in. I made my way to the cockpit, sitting in the chair when I found it. I was nervous, but I eventually gripped the controls. I didn't want this to happen.

"Please, I need to stay with the White Lion. She needs me. I don't know what she'll do if someone else tries to pilot her," I told the lion.

Relieved when nothing happened, I decided to have a bit of fun. I spun around in the chair, giggling a bit. I paused, feeling a bit nauseous, and gripped the controls to steady myself.

But, as soon as my hand touched the controls, they started to glow dark purple. The cockpit also started to light up, and I started to freak out. I began to push any and all buttons I could find, but nothing worked. I kept feeling the rising sensation of the Black Lion starting to steady itself on its paws again.

"No!" I screeched. It seemed to work, because the lights automatically went out and I could feel the lion falling over again.

The impact from the lion crashing against the floor was enough to send me out of the seat. I pushed myself up, taking a minute to catch my breath before jogging out.

Once I was out, I could feel the heavy beating of my heart slow down as it realised that I was on solid ground again.

"Millie, what happened?" Keith asked, running over to me.