Thirteen

Season one episode seven: Return to the Balmera

I walked over to Allura as we were on the way to the Balmera.

"I forgot to ask you, but why is my lion able to do all that stuff with its roar?" I asked her.

She thought for a moment before replying. "It seems that you have unlocked your lion's special power, and that's something not even the many, many past Paladin were able to do," she said. "Millie, your bond with the white lion is indescribable if you truly did unlock its power on the first day. Maybe you will be the one to break the curse."

"Curse?" I asked.

Allura nodded. "The white lion has had at least twenty Paladins since it was built. My father was actually planning to make changes to Voltron so that it could be formed without the white lion, since it was so dangerous. The white Paladins would just dissapear at random," she said, looking over to me. "Nobody knew how they were disappearing. They just were. Unfortunately, Zarkon attacked before we could make any changes. But, if I am correct, you should have no problem since your bond is so strong."

It was my turn to think before speaking now. "Why is my bond already stronger with it than its last paladin?" I asked.

"I'm not exactly sure."

I looked down at my feet. "Thank you for the talk, Allura." I started to walk away.

"Millie," she began, stopping me. "If you ever need to talk about anything, I will always be here for you, and so will the others."

I nodded to show her I had heard her. "I'm not quite comfortable with telling everyone my entire backstory, especially since I had no idea they even existed until about a week ago," I told her.

I looked down again and she called me over, so I stood next to her.

"That is the Balmera," she said, pointing to a planet. "It's a magnificent creature that was sort of... fossilized, but it still lives. The Balmerans communicate through it, and it gives crystals to power things. It usually looks so much better, so this is a sign that the Galra have not been treating it well. Maybe if we could free it again, we could help it to heal."

"How would we do that?" I asked. "How do you heal a planet sized creature? I don't think there's a big enough Band-Aid for that boo-boo."

"There was a ritual that Alteans would perform to give back energy to the Balmera as thanks for the crystal. If I could give enough energy back to the Balmera maybe it will stop hurting," she said. "Now go get the others, tell them to meet me here so that we can go over a battle strategy."

I nodded and left, gathering all the Paladins and Coran before returning.

Liberating the Balmerans from Zarkon's grasp will not be easy," Allura said.

"So what's the plan?" Lance asked. "We go in there and just pow, pow, pow, and free the prisoners?" he asked, making sound effects.

"What was that noise?" Keith asked.

"Laser guns," Lance replied.

"No Lance, I think you mean pow! Pow! Pow!" He waited a minute to act like a laser cannon charging up. "Pow!"

"That sounds like fireworks," Lance said, obviously unimpressed.

"Technically they're more like ba-choo, ba-choo, ba-choo," Pidge said.

"Okay, enough with the bad sound effects," Shiro said. "Besides, it's more like blam, blam, blam!"

"What?"