Fifty-Two

Season seven episode two: The Road Home

We were all in our lions, about to take off. Apparently Lance had come up with what animals were traveling with what person while I was asleep. Goliath was with me since practically nobody else wanted their storage space taken up by him. Honestly, nobody knew how I had gotten into the cargo hold- not even me.

"You ready, boy?" I called out. The deafening bark from the other side of the door was enough of an answer.

Everyone lifted their lions into the air, and we were off.

---

Within only a few minutes, we had to switch passengers. Thankfully, nobody else was put in the White Lion with me, and I was easily able to mute everyone else while they had fun arguing.

After a while more of travelling, a message appeared on my screen.

'Stopping at BoM base. Follow us' the message read.

I did as I was told to do and we came across a Blade of Marmora base. As we grew closer, there was still no response from it, and it looked abandoned, so we took the obviously smart route and went inside to take a look.

Krolia and all of us paladins went inside to investigate, and, true to the outside of the base, it was empty. We still went in to explore, using our jetpacks to maneuver around and the flashlights built into our wrists to see.

After finding a control panel, Pidge had told us that the base had been abandoned for possible years.

"That's impossible," Krolia said. "This base was fully operational during my last check in with the Blades."

Suddenly, the base violently shook, and Coran's voice echoed through our comms, telling us that enemy ships had arrived.

"Everyone, back to your loins!" Keith ordered.

We all started going back to where we had left the lions, but I knew it wouldn't be soon enough. At least, not without someone helping to defend even a little bit.

"Ivy!" I shouted into the comms. "Try and defend the others for as long as you can! You don't have to beat the ship, just hold them off. We'll be there in a minute."

A crackling voice responded. "Right away!" she yelled. There was suddenly much more noise as the White Lion joined the fight.

As soon as I got outside, I used my jetpack to propel me higher into the air, and Ivy rushed by and caught me. I immediately headed to the cockpit, petting Goliath as I rushed by. The Gigapup tilted his head and whined.

I started shooting at the small fleet of fighter jets, and everyone else joined me in their lions. Somehow, Keith's wolf had been teleporting people and animals around because I ended up with four mice and a very angry cat (I had no idea where it came from) in the cockpit with me.

"Well hello there," I said to the cat. It was mainly electric blue, with yellow lightning bolt patterns across it's back. It was quite a bit bigger than an average household cat, and had a cheetah-like body with a very fluffy tuft at the end of its tail like a lion.

The cat blinked at me with tired eyes. Perhaps it was angry because it had been woken up from a nap.

The cat's rounded ears swiveled around before it shrunk down to normal house cat size and jumped up on the dashboard of the White Lion, proceeding to curl up and take a nap.

I shrugged and looked back at the fight, seeing Hunk trapped by a couple fighters. Activating my lion's jaw blade, I flew past and cut the ropes holding him off, making them dissolve into light.

"Thanks, Millie," Hunk said.

"We're getting our quiznacks handed to us!" Lance said.

"I'm getting major flashbacks to when Lance told Keith to shut his quiznack," I pointed out. I heard a couple people chuckle at my comment.

"We need to do something, like form Voltron," Lance suggested.

"Alright, everyone in formation," Keith said.

We flew in formation like always, but we stopped after a bit of not doing anything. I shot off to avoid getting hit by a laser, but quickly joined the others in their fights again.

It turned out that there were a bunch of zanthorium crystals surrounding us, and they kept propelling me backwards every time I ran into one. I looked around and found that the others were also having trouble with them.

"They're trying to trap us in the zanthorium clusters," Keith said.

"Okay, then we go through them and let them run into them," I said.

"What do you mean?" Pidge asked.

I activated my lions echo location powers, and soon I was able to see where all of the clusters were located.

"Follow behind me, I have a way through," I told everyone.

I flew through crystals, finding paths to take, and everyone followed closely behind me. My lion had no problem swiftly maneuvering through the crystals, but Hunk and Keith seemed to be having a harder time. Keith's lion was the biggest, so his lion needed a bigger path, and Hunk couldn't keep up with us unless he was barreling his way through, which made it hard from him to make sharp turns.

"Change of plans," Keith said. "We're going into the cyclone, which means that Hunk, you and I will have to clear paths. Are you ready?"

"As I'll ever be," Hunk replied.

We eventually exited the storm after it nearly ripped apart my lion, and went to a highly dangerous ice planet with an unstable core. The perfect place to escape some space pirates.

As soon as we entered a canyon, my cat seemed immediately more interested in what was going on. Its ears swiveled back to me, soon followed by the rest of its head, and it looked at me as if to ask what we were doing.

"Alright team," Keith said. "Stay in formation and follow me."

After dodging geysers and falling ice, Keith had Lance block us into a cave, which we did. Though, the cave forked off, causing us to split up.

I made my lion run along the ground, with two fighters chasing me. I looked over to my new cat, who was stood up in full cheetah-size, seemingly waiting for my command.

"Time to earn your keep, cat," I told it. The cat blinked and proceeded to disintegrate.

Before long one of the fighters had gone dim, all of it's light draining out of it before crashing to the ground, and the second one repeated the same process as the first. After a few more minutes my cat had reformed from what seemed like a pile of dust blowing around.

"Good enough for me," I said. My cheetah shrunk back into the size of your average house cat before hopping back up into the dashboard and falling back asleep.

After everyone was out we started flying away, only to get pushed to the ground. When we looked up, a cruiser was hovering above us.