Thirty

Season three episode one: Changing of the Guard

It had been a few months since Shiro disappeared, and things were still pretty much chaos. Even without Zarkon, the Galra would still attack planets, and we would still have to save them.

Without Shiro, Team Voltron didn't feel like Team Voltron. There was no black Paladin, and everyone was still too upset about Shiro to try and switch the lions, but we all knew that we would eventually have to do it.

Keith came back in the lounge and I gave him a hug. It was obvious that he was sad. He always was whenever he went out to look through the wreckage from when we fought Zarkon.

"I'm sure we'll find him soon," I said.

"Thanks," he said, sighing.

I got him to look at me. "We can't put this off much longer," I said.

"I know, I just... want to wait a bit longer," he told me.

I moved some of the hair away from his face and gave him a quick kiss.

---

Everyone was gathered in the lounge now, and Lance and Hunk were talking about their latest mission. I heard them say sometjing about Voltron, but I wasn't listening.

"We don't have Shiro anymore," Keith said. "Everyone seems to have forgotten that."

I shifted my position so that I was leaning on Keith. I could feel him relax and he put an arm around my waist, which made me smile a bit.

"It may be difficult for us all to accept, but it is time for us all to find a new pilot for the Black Lion," Allura said.

I opened my eyes and sat up a bit so that o could fully listen to the conversation.

"No," Keith said. "I'm gonna find him." He stood up and I sighed. "Shiro is the one person that never gave up on me, I won't give up on him."

He walked out of the room and I stood up. "I'll go find him," I said, following after him.

"Keith, you know that this has to happen," I said. "People need us. People need Voltron."

"People have to learn to fight on their own!" Keith yelled.

"People who have been enslaved for hundreds upon hundreds of years have probably forgotten how to fight! They need Voltron to help get then started on the path to rebellion!" I yelled back.

Keith scoffed and turned away from me, crossing his arms. I sighed and rested my head in my hand. I walked over to him, putting my hand on his shoulder.

"Shiro would want this. He would want us to carry on fighting for people's freedom," I told him. "It hurts a lot for everybody, and I understand that it's a lot worse for you, but if we wait for Shiro to magically appear, nothing is going to get better."

Keith sighed and turned back to me. "I hate it that you're right," he said.

I gave him a hug, squeezing him tightly. "I hate it sometimes, too."

---

"It is an honour to have you all here," Allura said.

"I had the biggest bunker back on poiege, but it wasn't nearly this nice," one of the people said.

"Well I spent the last decade sleeping in a spiny thistle thicket," another one said. "You look wonderful though, Princess. I'm glad I put on my best tarp."

Everybody was talking again and Hunk served the food. I didn't feel like eating, so I just thanked him for the food but left it. I didn't hear the majority of Kolivan's speech, but I heard one of the aliens ask where Voltron was.

"We do have all the lions," I said. "We just don't use Voltron much because the Galra activity has gone down so much that while two people are working with the Blade to get rid of Galra on one planet, others could be working to free other planets," I explained.

"Can we see Voltron?" the alien asked.

"We can't form Voltron, alright?" Keith snapped. "We can fly the lions but Voltron is not happening."

I grabbed Keith's hand under the table, and he squeezed it. Whenever he got angry, confound that giving him my hand to hold was a good way for him to relax.

"What he means is, right now we can't do it, but-"

"But nothing!" Keith yelled, cutting off Allura. "Shiro is gone. He was the Black Lion, and until we find him there will be no Voltron."

"The lions are still a substantial fighting force, and this castle is also a considerable weapon," Kolivan said. "The Blade of Marmora can lead you."

"My people have been enslaved for centuries by people who look exactly like you," the purple one said.

"Yes, our people have heard the legend of Voltron, how he defeated Zarkon," the one that looked more human told us. "That is what gave my people hope. What are we supposed to tell them now?"

Keith slammed his hand in the table and stood up. "Tell them to stand up and fight for themselves!" he yelled. "Voltron is gone!"

Keith walked out of the room and I watched with wide eyes. "I'll go," I said. I reached the hallway and didn't even turn around. "But, he is right, you know. Even with Voltron, the citizens play an even bigger part. Especially now, you guys could hold your own or even possibly take your planet back if the Galra were to invade again. Voltron can't always be there."

---

"Keith, can I come in?"

"... Sure."

I walked in Keith's room, seeing him sit on his bed. I walked over to him, sitting down next to him.

"I know how hard it is to lose someone who used to, and still does, mean a lot to you. Nothing can really help with that feeling, but we always have to move on," I told him.

Keith sighed and laid down, shifting himself so that I could lay next to him, which I did.

"I know," he said. "It's just... hard. My mom left me, and then my dad, and it felt like Shiro was the only family I had left, but then he was gone, too."

I cuddled into his chest and he wrapped his arms around me, running his fingers through my hair. "I really wish I could have been there for you earlier, Keith," I told him, my voice just barely above a whisper.

"Hey, it's fine," he said. We both began to doze off a bit. "I just want to sleep right now."

I nodded. "I'd like that."

Guys wh-

A) this is fucking #1 in keithxoc

B) this also has 1k reads?

Okay, whatever. Thanks for reading this I guess. I don't exactly get why but oKay