Fourty-Three

Season five episode four: Kral Zera

I paced back and forth in the control room. Everyone was gathered around Lotor, listening to what he had to say, but I didn't feel the need to. I had already decided on my vote, and while I hated Lotor more than anything, I knew that he was our best bet for peace.

Everyone kept going over everything, but I wasn't going to get involved. I didn't want anything like last time to happen again.

After a little bit, Shiro had left the control room, furious. I looked over and debating going after him, but decided against it.

---

"Millie," I heard Shiro say. I looked up from my book to see Shiro standing in my doorway. "We're gonna take Lotor to the Kral Zera."

I put my book down. "Okay," I said. I got to my lion and flew out of the hangar along with Shiro, but I stopped.

"Where are the others?" I asked.

"They're coming," Shiro said. I still looked back to watch for them.

"They're not coming out," I said.

"Yeah, they said they needed to do something real quick and that they wanted us to go on ahead," Shiro told me.

I shrugged. "Whatever, I guess."

---

Finally, we arrived at where Lotor directed us to. Shiro and I both landed, and Shiro allowed Lotor out of the Black Lion.

"Halt! Your true emperor has arrived!" Lotor announced. I looked around and noticed Sendak on the staircase.

"You?" Sendak asked. "What makes you think you are able to lead us? To become emperor?"

"My father was Emperor Zarkon," Lotor said. "His blood in not only in my veins, it is also on my sword, and so will anyone else's who stands in my way."

"You think treachery makes you eligible to lead us?" Sendak asked.

"I will light the flame, not for killing my father, and not even for being the strongest Galra. I will light it for I have done something no one else has been capable of," Lotor said. "I have brought the Black and White Lions to the Galra."

"Stand aside, Sendak," Lotor snarled.

"We will prove this by honorable right of combat," Sendak said.

"No. We will end this," Lotor said.

"Enough!" Haggar's voice yelled. "Lotor, you cannot lead the Galra."

"You think you can stop me, witch?" Lotor asked.

"Your blood which proves your claim also quells it. You are not full Galra, you are a half breed," Haggar revealed. "Your mother was Honerva."

"Everyone here knows of my lineage, but that will not keep me from the throne." Lotor looked back to Sendak with a glare. "Now I will light that flame, and my first act as emperor will be to reunite you with my late father!"

"You're not getting to the top of these steps!" Sendak yelled. The two charged at each other, their weapons colliding.

The fighting continued on, but a sudden uneasy feeling starting to rise in my chest had distracted me. My lion was also visibly nervous, shifting its weight constantly, and I could feel her fighting the urge to fly away.

Suddenly I looked back up to the fight, the nervous feeling beginning to cloud my every sense, and I saw someone tackle Lotor out of the way. An explosion went off, hitting Sendak.

Seeing random parts of the building explode, I began jumping my lion around, trying to dodge whatever I could. After a total of two seconds, the whole Kral Zera had become an absolute bloodbath, there were lasers firing from the skies, Galra cruisers where shooting at each other, and everyone was fighting.

I looked around, and noticed three figures I recognized. Lotor's generals. When I noticed someone about to shoot at them, I moved my lion's paw to block the three from the lasers. I saw them look up at me, Zethrid and Ezor in awe, and Acxa gave me a grateful nod.

Seeing more ion cannon blasts headed towards me, I quickly jumped out of the way and back into the battle. After a lot of dodging, I looked over to where Lotor and Sendak were, noticing two other people fighting near them. Upon taking a closer look, I realised that one of the people was wearing a Blade of Marmora suit.

The female Galra swung her sword at the Blade member, disabling his mask, and my breath got caught in my throat when I saw Keith. I watched as his sword was knocked out of his hand and he went flying back.

The Galra lady was about to swing her sword at him again, but Acxa shot her gun at the lady, allowing Keith enough time to hit the woman and get his sword.

I was snapped out of my trance by my lion getting shoved around from the impact of an ion cannon. I looked up at the ship and noticed all the other lions up and fighting off cruisers, so I looked at Keith one last time to see him looking back at me despite the chaos around him, and I shot up into the sky, going to help the others.

"Alright, team. Let's form Voltron!" Shiro yelled. Nobody cheered like they usually did, but we formed Voltron anyways.

Using the sword that Lance had gotten, we sliced through Galra cruisers before flying over to stand by Lotor as he lit the flame. Purple fire erupted inside of the pedestal thing, signaling that Lotor was the new emperor.

"The flame has been lit," an old Galra said, his voice sounding slightly robotic. "Bow before your new emperor."

---

"You lied to me."

Shiro looked up from what he was working on and turned to me.

"And? You were on board with putting Lotor on the throne, right?" he asked.

"I was on board with making the decision as a team. My opinion matters, but so does everyone else's," I said, glaring at him.

"Well I lead Voltron. I'm the Black Paladin. I make the decisions," Shiro spat.

"No. You don't," I growled. "You can say whatever you like, but you're not Shiro. You're not the Black Paladin."