Chapter 20

Heading to the airport she called Waverly's number. "Pick up, pick up. Hi, how's it going?"

"Fine. Where are you?"

"Is Nigel with you?"

"No why?"

"Someone has to be with you."

Waverly giggled. "I don't think he needs to be in the bathroom while I'm showering. I'd rather it was you."

"Why are you showering this time of day?"

"Another boring magazine launch. Blah, blah, blah."

"Do you have to go?"

"Firstly yes. Second, why are you suddenly managing my diary?"

"What time is the function?"

"Six. Nigel's checked out the venue."

"I'll come with you."

"Will you be back in time?"

"I should be. Don't go without me. I'll come to your father's."

"I'm at my place. With Marmaduke. I kind of borrowed him. I'll give him back, I promise."

"Waves. Okay, wait for me."

Still in the suit she wore for her less-than successful lunch with the Widow, she left the airport in a cab headed to Waverly's. Arriving with minutes to spare she hugged her fiancé, wishing they weren't going anywhere that evening, wishing they could spend the night wrapped in each other's arms making love, letting the rest of the world go to hell. "Hey, I missed you too," Waverly said. "But, you'll ruin my make-up."

"Do we have to go?"

"Unfortunately yes. Father is looking to position our magazine against a rival publisher. Everyone who's anyone will be there this evening."

"What if I smear chocolate over these," Nicole offered, pointing to her chest. "And, you get to lick it off."

"Oh God, don't. That's now in my head. So naughty."

Nicole tensed. "Can you not use that word?"

"You are naughty. I should spank you."

Nicole pulled away. "We'd better get going."

"Hey, we can be naughty later."

"Please don't."

"I could be naughty too. So deliciously naughty."

"I said don't," Nicole hissed, pushing Waverly against the wall, pinning her there, her hand shaking as she brought it to Waverly's neck. "Just don't." The fear in Waverly's eyes told her she had gone too far. "I...I. I can't."

Turning, walking out of Waverly's house, she knew it had all become too much. The one she loved was now the one she made afraid. The circle complete. Or, the square. Waverly, the Widow, M and herself locked in a dance that would end with someone getting hurt, really hurt, dying.

Waverly was calling her. "You do not walk away."

"I nearly..."

"We both need help dealing with this."

"I'm fine. Go to your function."

"I can't do this without you," Waverly said. "I know you're scared, I know you're doing things you wouldn't do, but don't fight me too. Please, I'm begging you."

Nicole felt the wave overtake her, dragging her down listening to Waverly's pleas. "I love you so much."

"Then stay with me. Just tonight. Tell me what you need."