Chapter 38

The Widow watched the short clip of the Sydney Saviour on repeat, more agitated than usual, Cleo removing herself to the pool for the afternoon, careful not to make any comment to rile her lover any further. The Widow had a real nasty side, especially when things were not going her way, and knowing her pet spy was very much alive when she had been led to believe otherwise put a whole new shit spin on where things might go.

They sat in silence that evening, the Widow dismissing her staff abruptly halfway through the meal, leaving the dining table to gaze out over Lake Lucerne from the balcony. Cleo joined her, bringing two glasses of champagne by way of a peace offering. "Tell me my love. What can I do?"

"You will return to Frankfurt," the Widow instructed, allowing the alcohol to mellow her mood a little. "I'll go to Canada alone."

"We agreed I would accompany you."

"I've changed my mind."

"Are you bored of me?"

The Widow glanced over, taking a moment to drink in Cleo's form. "You will be a distraction, that's all."

"Will you go after her?"

The Widow returned her gaze to the lake. "That's my business."

"You don't even know where she is."

"The Earp bitch will."

"Let me at least watch you kill her," Cleo whispered.

"Don't ever presume my agenda," the Widow hissed in reply.

Nicole was now fourth in the queue at passport control, avoiding eye contact with the guards patrolling the airport. A baseball cap hid most of her hair, the roots of which were beginning to reveal her distinctive colour, a potential giveaway if anyone happened to be looking for a tall redhead. She need not have worried. No one had alerted the police to her resurrection. Not yet.

As soon as she was through, she found a payphone, calling Waverly's office, a tea cloth over the mouthpiece while pinching her nose. It was enough to disguise her voice for Waverly's assistant not to recognise who was calling. "She's not here. Can I pass on a message?"

"When will she be back?"

"A few days."

"Sorry, where?"

The assistant hesitated. "Scotland. Who shall I say called?"

Nicole hung up, calling the estate agents in Glasgow, pretending to be her mother, a woman confirming the keys were still in their possession. Nicole called Waverly's assistant again. "Hi, got cut off. Did you say Cassillis?"

Another hesitation. "Who is this?"

"Is she there?"

"I told you she's away for a few days. If you leave a message I'll pass it on."

Nicole hung up again, at a loss as to where Waverly might be. Without J's help she would not be able to locate her, calling friends and family was out of the question, calling Waverly too cruel. She called M's private number. "Who is this?"

"Your favourite."

"I might have known. Where the hell are you? Don't tell me. Are you completely insane? I suppose you think being the hero in all this will save the day."

"She's not in London."

"I beg to differ."

"I called her office. They said she's in Scotland. You promised me she would be protected. You don't even know where she is."