Chapter 31

Note: Five Eyes (FVEY) refers to an alliance comprising Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States. These countries are bound by the multilateral UKUSA Agreement for joint cooperation in signals intelligence, military intelligence, and human intelligence.

Notable people who have been under Five Eyes surveillance: Charlie Chaplin, Diana Princess of Wales, Nelson Mandela, John Lennon, Jane Fonda and German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

Nicole emerged from her tent, a golden sun beginning to rise slowly over amber dunes, the peace and tranquillity of the desert that time of day soothing to her soul. The only thing missing from the stunning scenery stretching beyond their temporary home was Waverly, wondering what she might be doing in that moment, the time difference only one hour. Probably still asleep she guessed, as she made her way to the communal dining tent, J already seated at one of the tables busily tapping on his laptop, smiling as she entered.

A whole month they had lived in a sea of sand, close to the border between Morocco and Algeria, a remote campsite run by a contact of MI6, no questions asked as to why the three were there. She had kept up with the news in the UK, all the lies told about her hand in the bombings, lies about her supposed life as a double agent, lies about her attempt to murder M, lies about her death, lies about the Basement Bomber no longer being a threat. For all the lies, the murder of Barry grated the most, her gun conveniently identified as the murder weapon. Poor Barry, trying to help, ending up killed by rogue players in a rogue government.

It took time to adjust to being dead, reading of her demise in the Times newspaper a surreal moment. It made no mention of her career at MI6, nor any mention of her treachery, simply that she had been taken too young, assuming the wording must have been at the insistence of her mother.

Now officially a ghost, she was in the same position as J, having to let the world carry on as though she were no longer in it, going about its daily business without her. An awful lie, but a better outcome than she imagined in those final minutes before being rescued. J had explained how his own deceptive death occurred, how he had been tracking one of the Widow's friends, Nur Sabir, who visited all four stations multiple times in the days leading up to the bombing at roughly the same time each evening, a dry run for what she would carry out.

"I don't understand why you had to make it look like you died," Nicole had said.

"M's idea," J replied. "Needed me on the outside."

"She asked me too. I said no."

"She knew this went to the top. It was the reason she called the meeting that day to reveal we had JOSHUA in our sights. A warning shot to those involved."

"The Prime Minister."

"She refused to attend the meeting initially, M making it clear if she wasn't there she would kick up a stink."

"Why didn't she say?"

"M's role is more than you and I see," J replied. "I'm lucky to have had her ear and she mine."

"She trusted me too," Nicole added, feeling a pang of jealousy at J's relationship with their boss.

"She often said you would be her replacement."

"I'm a bit dead."

"All in good time. We wait for their next move then we act."

"London wasn't on the list."

"Why would it be? The attack had already been carried out, hence the other list."

"I knew that," Nicole replied, realising her rookie mistake. "Australia was next, from what I remember, then Canada, New Zealand third."