Chapter 39

A second car pulled into the driveway of Chalfield, the Widow's four men jumping out as it came to a halt outside the house, guns at the ready, all wearing the same expression which said they meant business. "Too late," Waverly yelled. "They're here. Wyn get mother to safety, now."

"Don't start anything until I get back," Wynonna replied, ushering their mother downstairs to the cellar.

Waverly already had her phone out calling Amelie. "We end this now."

"Well, well, well, so nice to hear your voice," the Widow purred. "Amelie says hello."

"You and me, bitch. No one else."

"Is that an offer? Although, I do prefer redheads."

"Well, tough shit. She's mine."

"I hardly think so. We're going to play a little game. You for Amelie."

"Deal. On my way."

The driver refused to let Waverly leave the house, barring her exit with his body. "It's our job to protect you, not your assistant."

"It's your job to do what I say," she shouted, the driver remaining in position, not letting her pass. "They'll kill her."

"Not my problem. You need to go to the basement. Let us handle this."

"Not happening. Get out of my way."

The second bodyguard grabbed her from behind, relieving her of the weapon. "You're not trained."

As much as she fought, she was no match against his strength. "You're fired, you hear. Both of you. Let me go."

"This is for your own safety."

"Please, I can't let them kill her. You don't know what that bitch is like. She's crazy."

Waverly's phone buzzed, the other bodyguard pulling it from her pocket to answer, listening as the Widow spoke. "I'm waiting, sweetie. You have to the count of five to get your pretty little ass out here. Five, four-"

The bodyguard hung up. "Take her downstairs and wait. I'll deal with this."

A shot rang out, Waverly screaming. "I told you. I told you. This is on you. I could have saved her."

The bodyguard ignored Waverly's words, motioning with his head for her to be escorted to where their mother was now in hiding, his gun at the ready to take on the Widow and her men on his own. Wynonna had heard Waverly's scream, racing to her aid, her father's loaded shotgun in her hands, prepared to fight for her sister. "Let her go."

"She'll be killed."

"Waves, he's right. Go downstairs with mother."

"This won't end unless I go. Please, for me. She'll kill everyone."

Wynonna aimed the gun at the guard. "I said let her go."

The bodyguard released his grip, Waverly turning to kick him in the shin. "I can take care of myself."

Retrieving her gun from the floor, she pushed past the guard, ignoring his orders not to exit the house. Wynonna followed, gun lowered, not sure what her sister would do next. "What's your plan?"

Waverly shrugged. "Not get killed."

"Good plan. Except we're walking into an ambush."

"I'll take my chances."

Opening the front door, she saw Amelie on her knees, still alive, the Widow pointing a gun at her head. "There you are. I was beginning to get bored."