Chapter 36

Waverly composed herself as she entered her office building, holding her lips tight together, keeping her head down, avoiding everyone's gaze, telling herself to think thoughts she hoped would make her appear sad. No sooner had she sat at her desk when her editor burst in. "Look, I know this isn't my place and she's your friend, but she seems to think she runs the show."

"Sorry, who?"

"Your new photographer. She's already upset two of our regular contributors."

"I'll speak to her. The shots on the bridge are pretty good though."

"They are. She's just...she's not a team player. Is everything okay?"

"Yes," Waverly replied, a little too quickly, her voice a little higher than usual. "I'll sort it."

"You look. I'll go. Have you done something with your hair?"

"Yes, my hair. New look. Going for a new look."

"It suits you."

As soon as her office door closed she raced to the bathroom, staring at her reflection realising she looked far happier than she had since hearing the news about Nicole. "Get a grip, get a grip. You'll give the game away," she counselled herself. "More miserable. Way more miserable."

The new sparkle in her eyes was hard to ignore, wondering how Nicole could do her job, pretend to be whoever she needed to be without giving away who she really was. It was down to her to keep quiet, keep up the pretend story her fiancé was dead, except the news of Nicole being alive was the best news ever, the constant ache in her chest gone, every ounce of heaviness in her heart lifted, every one of her prayers answered. M would not reveal where Nicole was, nor when she might return, saying only it would take time, advising her to be patient, that a day would come when they could be together again.

Nicole gazed out over Sydney as their plane took off, unaware of the growing interest in identifying her. Had she simply kept her mouth shut, much of the media would have moved on. J was right, she had one job and she blew it. Not in saving the kids, but in remaining under the radar.

Playing dead was to her advantage, except there was a feeding frenzy to find her. A simple slip in the heat the moment, something she would never do, having felt immune now that she no longer existed, a mistake, a genuine mistake that was all, never once factoring in there might be dire consequences.

Xavier was stretched out on several seats, already snoring loudly, J busy on his laptop. "We'll get home," Nicole said, to an audience of one, J continuing to type. "I'm done with this life."

J stopped typing. "You are one of the best operatives MI6 has."

"Had."

"Has. M will clear your name."

"The damage has been done."

"I beg to differ. The inquiry into what happened in London will prove your innocence. No one in their right mind will be able to say you alone coordinated and carried out the attacks on our transport system."

Nicole sighed, looking out over the ocean. "You're thinking like an insider. The rest of the world has only a vague idea of what we do. We're ghosts, literally. Well, in our case actually. They soak up what's in the news like vinegar over fries."

"Chips. Please use the correct terminology for potatoes deep fried in oil."

"I'm simply yesterday's news, wrapped around deep fried potatoes. No one cares if I did, or didn't bomb the heart out of London. All they care about is whether their chips are tasty. I'm well and truly-"