thirty six

ƚԋιɾƚყ ʂιx

bait

.

.

abby flicked the pen gently between all the fingers on her right hand. She stared at Tom, despite her earlier words denying his risk of absconding, she feared that if she removed her eyes from him he would disappear; like a spider that only moves when you take your eyes off it, and that - to her - is when she feared them the most. Spiders weren't a problem when you could see them, when you could always see what they were doing, but once the spider crawled under a sofa or seemed to simply disappear, it became dangerous. You could no longer track it's movements or prepare to be one step ahead; the spider now had the advantage - the element of surprise. Tom Lawrence was a spider, but Jack Hall was his predator. 

Spencer appeared by her side, gently placing a hand on her shoulder to draw her gaze from Lawrence.

"You okay?" He asked gently.

"Does something seem...wrong about him to you?" Abby asked, her voice and gaze distant.

"Other than the diagnosable insanity?" Spencer replied [unintentionally] sarcastically.

"No. Well, yes," Abby started, finally spinning her chair round to face Spencer. She paused briefly, as though she were consciously stringing the sentence together in her head. "He seems...not an asshole."

"Well give me time, darling. We've only been at this for a couple hours." Tom's voice sounded suddenly from behind her. 

See. The spider.

Their first conversation as a 'new team' replayed through her mind.

.

"We don't. We let Hall find us."

Abby scoffed. "That's it? That's your ingenious plan, 'we let Hall find us'?" She mocked, "Just send him back to prison now, Hotch. Save us all some heartache."

"Well, what do you recommend, Sergeant - excuse me, Agent Laurens? Any brilliant ideas stashed away in that pretty little head of yours?" Spencer took a defensive step forward at Lawrence's words. "Down boy." Lawrence chuckled. 

Abby stared at him incredulously. The rest of her team flicked their eyes from her to Tom and back again. It was as though the room held its breath once more, there was an unspoken secret between the two that flooded the room every time they made eye contact. 

"Fine. What do you suggest?"

"Okay - now go with me on this, we contact Hall. Like literally, send him an email, text, I don't know hell air drop him a funny meme. You with the crazy hair and...clothes, you're the technical one?"