forty seven

ϝσɾƚყ ʂҽʋҽɳ

traitor
(part two)

•

"Abby, what is this?" Spencer asked gently.

"Read it. Please." She nodded reassuringly at him.

He took a deep breath and began to summarise the most important parts of the correspondence, aware that they were rather pressed for time.

"October Fourth: Relationship with Sergeant going well, Moore convinced we can make moves to intercept Hall in the next couple months but needs Laurens' promotion to be finalised for a while longer before he can justify her as NCO for the 'undercover' mission. She still has no idea why she was promoted early; only female officer we have that qualifies for the mission with H. Awaiting further contact with insurgent."

Spencer skipped a few pages, remembering where the key pieces of information were from his skim read.

"December Fifth: Sending Laurens and Lawrence out in the next couple days. Moore plans to keep them out there for a few weeks until they can make contact with H. Arms dealings in talks.

"January Seventh: Secured arms deal with Hall."

At this insert, Abby felt Hall stiffen next to her and the grip on her hold loosen. "Not what you were expecting?" Abby teased, smiling.

Spencer continued:

"February Eighth: Moore has issued an order that Laurens is to bait Hall in his office. H will then hold Laurens and Lawrence in a secure location so a rescue mission can be arranged, which Moore will lead. No doubt to steal all the glory for himself."

"February Tenth." Spencer looked at pained expression on Abby's face at this date. He felt his heart break, wishing he could hold her.

"February Tenth: Mission gone wrong. Abby escaped. Moore says rescue mission will still go ahead but Abby will lead. Says it should undoubtedly go wrong even without his meddling. Says she is an underqualified Sergeant. Overheard Moore on phone with H. Moore desperate to keep H happy and on our side. H has changed agreement; will continue to deal weapons as long as he kills Abby and Lawrence. Moore has told me to propose to Laurens. I believe he plans to double-cross Hall. Says me and three other privates are to join her on mission.

"February Tenth: I am going to die. This is a sacrifice for my Country. Moore says I will get a posthumous Medal of Valor. He has set us up; we will enter the location, he says he knows Laurens will split the privates up, the two separated from her will be ambushed. When we enter location of Lawrence, Hall will be waiting. Laurens will be given an ultimatum, ultimately relieving Moore of any guilt as Laurens will make the choice who dies.