thirty nine

*if you are reading this since it's been edited: THIS IS A NEW CHAPTER*

ƚԋιɾƚყ ɳιɳҽ

strike two

strike two•

Spencer and the rest of the team stood utterly and completely silent. They all looked at Spencer, waiting for him to say something or move, like at all. He kept staring at the window into the viewing room.

'Because I love you!'

She loves him too. He instantly regretted how he acted. He finally moved, turning his head to the direction Abby ran off but she wasn't there. Instead there were 5 faces, each with varying expressions, looking back at him. Morgan was the first to move.

"Hey, Kid." He said cautiously as he entered the room. "You okay?"

"I - she loves me?"

"I believe that's what she said. Reid, I gotta ask you, what the hell were you thinking asking her that!" Morgan asked rhetorically, chuckling in disbelief. "You're lucky she didn't hit you! And the fact she said 'I love you' ? Kid I'd either marry her, or buy a lottery ticket 'cause you're the luckiest son-of-a-bitch I know."

"Wait why am I in the wrong? She didn't tell me she slept with him! He's been here a while, Morgan! He also shot her and she didn't happen to mention it? She's also slept with me - don't make that face." Morgan raised his hands playfully in mock surrender, "And she never thought to say, 'Oh you remember the guy who shot me? Oh and killed my friend and man I served with for nearly 4 years? Yeah we had sex! Weird right!' "

"Reid -"

"I mean what if she had something to do with all this, Morgan? She's clearly closer to him than we thought! How do we know what she even told us about Iraq is true? Her and Lawrence could've -"

"Doctor Reid!" Hotch said loudly. He rarely shouted at his agents, except for when they were really out of line; like Abby earlier. "I suggest choosing your next words very, very carefully."

"Good luck, man." Morgan patted Spencer on the shoulder and left, closing the door behind them, no doubt to go and gossip with the rest of the team.

"Would you like to finish that sentence?" Hotch said sternly, his eyebrows scrunched in anger.

"No, Sir. Sorry." He felt himself blush at his outburst. Had he really just tried to accuse Abby of somehow being involved in Moore's murder and, more importantly, deliberately shooting her fiance, a child and her friend? Apparently.

"Reid, I - I honestly have no idea what to do." Hotch confessed. Spencer looked at him, very confused. "This is the second time in the space of a few hours that I have had to talk to either you or Abby about your conduct in this office! This is why there are such strict rules about Agents dating, Reid. I have done you both a lot of favours and put my neck on the line to keep you working together; I had to fight tooth and nail to keep you both on this team. The Brass wanted to offer Abby a transfer or... there was an offer for a position liaising with the British Army."

"What? She never told me that..."

"That's because she didn't know." Spencer suddenly felt very guilty, him and Abby had completely betrayed Hotch's trust in them. "If you cannot work together, which it is starting to become clear that it is a proving to be a problem, then I will have no choice but to either transfer or fire one or both of you! You have both broken some serious rules today Reid. Abby is lucky she isn't being charged with what she did to Lawrence! And the way you both acted just then?"

"I didn't see you trying to break us up!" Spencer argued, but he immediately regretted it.

"No because quite honestly, I had no idea what Agent Laurens was going to do next!" Spencer stayed silent. "Spencer," Hotch said slightly more gently, "If you and Abby cannot sort this out, today, now, then I will have no choice. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Sir."

Spencer still felt guilty, and Hotch could see that. But Hotch was not the type of boss nor the type of man who would hold a grudge, unless either Spencer or Abby stepped out of line again, their actions would be forgiven; granted Abby apologised as well after her rollocking.

"Good. And Spencer?"

"Yeah?"

"Next time a girlfriend tells you they've slept with someone else, before you even knew the other existed, don't ask them to compare. She's scared, and we need to support her. She's our family." Hotch smiled, Spencer hung his head.

"I know. I'm sorry, I'll talk to her. I love her too." Hotch nodded, Spencer swore he could see a smirk on his. "And that was a stupid thing to say wasn't it?"

"You had every right to be upset that she didn't tell you, considering the current circumstances with Lawrence being here, but asking if she loved him? Comparison, Reid? Trust me, you never want the answer to that."

"Okay okay okay, Hotch, I get it."

Hotch continued to laugh as he opened the door. The rest of the team were waiting outside, clearly trying to eavesdrop. Spencer shook his head. He knew Abby wouldn't have gone far probably not even outside of the perimeter of the FBI building and he knew she was safe there. There was no way for Hall to even get through the gate without a pass and even if he started to try and shoot his way in, every agent would be told immediately and Abby would have more than enough time to get back into the building. But he still wanted to find her.

"Come on, loverboy. She'll come back when she's ready." JJ teased.

He followed his team up to the round table room. As much as he wanted to, he had decided he wasn't going to even react when he saw Lawrence, beside the risk of adding his final strike, he didn't want to give Lawrence the satisfaction.

"So what did Hotch say? What did Morgan say? Do you love Abby too?" Garcia hounded him all the way across the bullpen. "Are you going to tell her? Reid! Reid! Are you going to tell her?"

Spencer just laughed but stayed silent.

. . . . . . . . . .

don't forget to vote and comment, it really does mean a lot. i hope you're enjoying 'silence'.