ten

ƚҽɳ

four hundred and twenty men and women

.

.

Abby felt like she had lost her father all over again. The three words rang in her head over and over and over and as she sat in the corner of the jet, she could feel her team's eyes on her, they were profiling her and she hated it. Even Hotch was trying to figure her out. Her mind went back to just a few minutes ago in his office and her chest swelled, she stopped the tears from falling this time. She felt like all she did was cry, especially in front of her boss.

"No." Abby whispered.

"Sorry?" Hotch asked, sympathetically.

"Stop it, stop giving me those looks. Please. I don't believe you. H-he was in Iraq at an Army base how the hell was he..." she couldn't bring herself to say it, "how did he die?"

She glanced up at the dark haired mans face and she realised why the Army were so desperate for the team and why they needed them there so quickly.

"Someone at the base did it, didn't they?" She asked.

"Yes. We, all of us including the Commander in Chief, believe so." He hesitantly gave her the file. "Laurens I know this is hard but you still need to be briefed on the case before we leave. I am sorry."

"Why? Surely it's protocol that I stay here. I'm too close to this, that's what they'd tell me, hell that's what you would normally tell me Hotch. Why can't I stay here with Garcia?"

"It is and you're right normally I would have you stay here, I would insist on it. But not only do I think you'd regret it if you did, you were asked for specifically."

"Lawrence." Hotch nodded in response. He put a gentle hand on Abby's knee, she looked up at him smiling sadly.

"How are you? I-I, you know him, knew him, too." Abby asked, suddenly feeling selfish. The same looked as he had when he first spoke with Garcia flashed across his face.

"Let's go and get this son of a bitch."

.

The team had been in the air for a good five minutes and since the flight from Virginia to Washington was only an hour, Abby would be damned if they spent any more time staring at her instead of figuring out who murdered her officer, screw that, her friend. Maybe it was the five stages of grief hitting her all at once or maybe she was just genuinely annoyed at her team for wasting time.