fifty

ϝιϝƚყ

'To Abby'

.

.

Spencer Reid stood in the middle of an empty bullpen. It was the first time he had been back in two weeks. His friends had all returned, one by one, each calling by Spencer's apartment on their way in to see if they could convince him to join them. But each time, they failed. 

Today was Abby's funeral. 

For the first time since she died, Spencer was stood in the centre of the foundation of their relationship. Everywhere he looked he saw pieces of her, fragments of their time together; he saw her pouring them both a cup of coffee, he saw them both sat at one another's desk laughing and talking about what movie they were going to watch, or rather Spencer was going to put on whilst she fell asleep because "Subtitles made her sleepy.", he felt her there. And it killed him that she was never going to be there again.

The team had arranged to meet each other at the office. They were the ones who would be carrying her coffin. Emily was coming over from London too, whilst she didn't know Abby she wanted to be there for her friends, her family. Abby's brothers and mom were also going to be there but Spencer didn't feel like talking to anyone who wasn't there for Abby, he didn't particularly feel like talking to anyone that wasn't his friends.

"Hey Kid." Morgan said quietly from behind him, placing a hand on his shoulder. He turned around and saw Morgan, JJ and Rossi. One by one they gave him a hug, holding him tightly. He had told himself he wouldn't cry until the funeral but just seeing his friends set him off. He could tell Morgan had already been crying too. From their first case, Morgan had adopted Abby as his little sister, often referring to her as that. He felt he had failed her; in his eyes, his most important job was to protect her as he does his own sisters, but he had failed. 

"How are you holding up, Spence?" JJ asked politely. Spencer shrugged. His answer; 'he wasn't.'

"I promised her I'd speak today."

"Spencer you don't have to do that." JJ cooed softly.

"No, I didn't promise her, I promised myself. I need to." 

"Okay." JJ squeezed the top of his arm lovingly, rubbing her thumb up and down kindly. Everyone stood in silence for a minute or so until the elevator dinged and Garcia and Emily appeared. Everyone rushed to hug the brunette, having missed her deeply. 

"Hey Reid. I'm so sorry." Emily apologised. Spencer pursed his lips trying not to cry but it was no use. She hugged him again.