twenty three

ƚɯҽɳƚყ ƚԋɾҽҽ

boy wonder

.

.

abby and Spencer had been trying to get some sort of lead on Sam's whereabouts for the past twenty minutes.

"I don't know where he is!" Ruby shouted. Long, awkward silences were followed by outbursts like this.

An idea suddenly came to Abby's mind.

"I'll be right back, Spence."

Spencer nodded as Abby walked quickly out of the room to the rest of the team who were looking exhausted.

"Hotch, I need those photos from the house."

"Abby -" Hotch warned.

"I know it's risky. Seeing that could trigger the memories of the first years of her capture but we need to break the bond she has with Sam and unless we can find him we can't do that. She needs to remember who he is but she won't remember it with her own memories because her 'infatuation' has overwhelmed her subconscious. She needs to see what he's done." Abby explained her plan quickly.

"Kid's got a point, Aaron." Rossi agreed.

"We don't know if those women are all dead. If they are Abby..."  Hotch said, unsure.

"I know. I know, but this is the only way to break his manipulative hold over her. And if we find him there's a chance we find those women."

"Okay. Garcia take Laurens the crime scene photos. You do not mention whether they are dead or alive."

"I won't, Sir. Because we don't know ourselves."

Abby went calmly back into the room and sat next to Spencer. She offered him a look that read simply 'play along'. Spencer nodded subtly. The three sat in silence for the next one minute and thirty five seconds - Spencer counted - before Garcia came quietly through the door, handing a beige file to Abby.

"Ruby. Do you believe you know Samuel?" Abby asked, shuffling through the photos, trying to hide how distressed she actually felt.

"S-samuel?"

"Yes. Did you not know that was your husband's full name?"

"My husband?" Ruby asked visibly shaken. She had no idea.

"Yes, you legally married," Abby looked through the  folder dramatically, "ten years ago today. Congratulations." She finished emotionlessly. "Oh. Happy, late, birthday by the way. When was it two, three days ago?"

"How did you-"

"How well did you know Samuel Mulligan, Ruby? Wives are supposed to know their spouses. Speaking of, baby, could you grab me a cup of coffee please." Abby turned to Spencer sweetly.