𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗲𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁

𝗖𝘆𝗻𝗼𝘀𝘂𝗿𝗲 (𝗻.) - 𝗔 𝗽𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗼𝗻 𝗼𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗶𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗰𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗼𝗳 𝗮𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗼𝗿 𝗮𝗱𝗺𝗶𝗿𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻.

Anastasia

The majestic chandelier hung from the ceiling sparkling in tiny and big diamonds. The warm golden glow rendered the room a fairy tale kin version. The soft music glided in the air like a graceful swan. Laughter cloaked the thick tension in the room. Servers sauntered with trays filled with bubbly champagne flutes.

I swallowed the simmering anxiety tightening my hold on Seb's arm as we descended the stairs. For a mere second, I wish I could vanish. I fought the urge to run, instead, I smiled. The laughter seemed to die slowly. Heads turned. Hush murmurs blended in the music.

Everyone's attention is on us.

On me.

Chills crawled down my spine making me shiver. The crowd gaped at me, however, that wasn't the reason I got chills. The one person that loathed me the most did that all by himself.

I felt his sharp gaze before I saw him. I could sense it in my bones, I could feel the blood gushing in my veins. I know his hawk-like eyes engrossed on me closely. Yet I didn't spare him a glance. I focused on the two figures standing at the end of the steps.

Papa and Mama. They were smiling. Papa wearing his black suit and Mama wearing a matching black gown. Mama whispered something in Papa's ears and his eyes wrinkled at the edges in a blissful smile. His eyes were soft and full of love. Seb let go of my arm before placing a kiss on my forehead.

"Amore Mio, you are looking beautiful," Papa said as he took me in his embrace.

"Grazie Papa, you are looking dashing as always," I replied kissing his cheek.

Mamma pecked me on the cheek.

"What did you whisper to Papa?" I ask her.

"Just how time has flown by," She smiled warmly. Her eyes held the same look as they did the first time I met her.

"Come. Your fiance is waiting for you." Upon hearing Papa's words, I stilled.

My spine straightened. Regardless, I nodded absentmindedly.

I linked my arm to his, smiling in the crowd. Don't show your weakness, conceal it with a smile. I Cued myself.

I sensed him. He's close. Just not in plain sight. Eyeing my every move. Contemplating his next. We pass a few of Papa's associates, whom I had met previously in many social gatherings.

"Valentina", it's been so long." Papa greeted my future mother-in-law, kissing her hand.

"Yes, indeed it has," She acknowledged him with a smile, her blue eyes piercing at me. I swallowed the resurfacing guilt.

"James."

"Alessandro," The two elderly yet powerful men embraced each other. The room was silenced as they witnessed their embrace. Some even gasped. For astound, everyone seemed to forget the past.

The tragedy.

The history.

They untangled themselves from the embrace.

"Hello Mr. Romano, Mrs. Romano." I greeted.

"You look beautiful, sweetheart," James spoke, adoration clear in his eyes.

"Beautiful and tragic," Valentina muttered in an attempt to keep everyone else from hearing. However, that attempt was terrible. The tension grew massively. I chewed on my bottom lip unable to say a single word.