𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗳𝗼𝘂𝗿𝘁𝗲𝗲𝗻

Halcyon (Adj.) - A period of time in the past that was idyllically happy and peaceful.

Anastasia

My lips tingled.

They throbbed.

Stung.

Yes, stung would be the relevant word.

Fortunately, not a solitary soul witnessed the ravage in my lower lip since the cut was on the inner side. Not that it was huge anyway, just a mere scrape perhaps. He only needed to warn me.

Absentmindedly, my hands flew to my lips. A hiss breaking out. The area near the bite was still tender zapping electricity towards my core as I memorized the kiss.

The bite.

Vincenzo could have pecked; and yet he preferred to be violent.

What did I expect?

Unicorns and rainbows?

An unladylike scoff fled at the ridiculous notion.

That was like him.

Dangerous.

Violent.

Merciless.

"May I have the honor of a first dance?" My father-in-law, Jame's voice croaked, saving me from my own reverie. He held a wide-open palm waiting.

Smiling at the older replica of my husband, I took his hand. He guided me to the centre of the room filled with people's buzz.

Now everyone's gaze was on us.

On me.

The bride with no husband in sight.

"I believe you know how to waltz," James whispered in my ear as he took me into his arms, we both stood at a respectable distance.

"Only the basics, Uncle James," I supplied, exhaling a shaky breath. I wasn't a good dancer. His blue eyes tapered letting the wrinkles rise at the end, signs that he was getting older.

"I'm Dad now, am I not my daughter?" He lent pressure on the words 'my daughter'. As hastily those words evacuated his mouth the cold reality of my mistake crashed in.

"I'm sorry, that was out of habit," I sheepishly smiled.

"Then I suggest, you change that habit. Starting at this very moment." He answered with a twinkle in his deep blue eyes.

"Yes, Dad." I swallowed.

It felt strange, bizarre even just to call him that. His chest puffed, the blue glinting softly. An emotion I've witnessed rarely - love.

Before I could say anything, slow music filled in. James guided me through the steps. He twirled me in the small circle and resumed the waltz. His eyes glistened in fatherly affection. He leads me on the floor gracefully taking steps so I could catch up.

I am surprised the Ex Mafia King knows his way with dancing but then again, one in such a position should know everything. My tensed body calmed in the comfort of James and the slow soft music.

But not for long, the little relaxation I had, came to an abrupt halt, James looking over his shoulder with pride. I didn't have to look back on who the person is. His presence screamed bloody murder. The chill in the air rose to a notch, gliding down the length of my spine, raising tiny hairs on the back of my neck and concurrent seizing of giggles and laughter. James lifted my hands, kissing it softly twirling me to face the person.