Chapter Fifty-Four

~Monday 28th November; 4:34am~

I lifted Anastasia ever so gently from the backseat, careful not to wake her up, not knowing what state the poor girl was in after everything she had been through this past year.

"What are we going to do with her?" Amara asks.

"I'm going to take her to bed, and you're not doing anything with her." I snap, gently brushing a strand of hair away from her precious eyes. 

Amara rolls her eyes stomping away, as Maximillian comes toward me. She gently strokes her hand over Ana's face, before looking up at me. 

"She'll get over it Vincenzo, don't take it out on her."

"What is her problem with Anastasia?" I ask.

"Would you like me to find out for you?"

"Of course Max," I smile.

"Take care of her for me, please?" Maxmillian asks.

I nod with a small smile.

Anastasia shifts in my arms, I move her slightly to make her more comfortable, carefully walking her inside the house.

I hear her murmur something softly in her sleep, and I smile safely assured that she was safe with me.

--

I enter our bedroom, which was untouched since she left me, until that night only a month ago. I lay her across the bed before gently tapping her shoulder. 

She rolls a little, unwilling to wake up.

"Anastasia, please."

Her heavy eyes open so hooded I'm surprised she can see.

"Vincenzo."

"Yes, it's me, baby."

"Where are we?" She whispers, looking around frantically.

I catch her jaw, taking it in my hand gently.

She looks up nervously.

"We're home darling, don't worry."

"Do you want to take a bath?" I ask her.

She freezes for a minute before nodding surely. 

"Can you walk?" I ask.

She shakes her head.

I wasn't sure if she could walk or if she just didn't want to, but either way, I was willing to carry her whatever distance. 

"Can you turn the lights on please?" She mutters.

How could I stupidly forget that? Of course, she hated the darkness after being trapped down there in that neglected cell for months. 

I gently stroked her cheek before heading towards the light switch and flicking the light on. 

She doesn't quite smile but she manages a small appreciative nod.