Chapter Sixty-Two

Two and a half months later...

ANGELICA

I grabbed my stomach tightly, feeling a heavy cramp. I feel the back-breaking pain again, beginning to hunch over. 

The babies...

What was going on..

I cry out in pain, making Vincenzo turn to face me.

"Stassie, what's wrong?" He asks, heading towards me.

"I-I... my tummy" I mutter before a second surge of pain flys through me.

I couldn't lose them...

Not now..

Immediately Vincenzo lifts me off of my feet, and my ears begin to drown out the sound, my head spinning. 

They weren't due for another month...

I hear Vincenzo yell something in Italian, my ears ringing too loudly to make out a word of it anyway, I feel my body go limp and my vision fades to black.

--------------

When I wake up again I find myself in a pristine white room. 

I look around nervously...

A hospital...?

Why was I in a hospital?

I try to sit up, but feel two hands of my shoulders bringing back to lay down. 

Vincenzo..

"Sweetheart you have to lay down alright? The doctors are unsure of how much damage you fainting did to the babies.."

"I fainted?" I mutter, my mouth painstakingly dry. 

I watch as a doctor in a long white lab coat walks into the room.

"I have some unfortunate news, Mr and Mrs Romano.." The doctor trails off flipping through the charts in her hands.

No!

No!

No!

Had I lost the babies?

No way...

I went through too much to have them...

They were mine? No one could take them from me...

Not even death..

"The babies are living right now... but the fainting was caused by an extremely high blood pressure rise in your body Mrs Romano.."

"So what are you going to do?" Vincenzo asks.

"Well we need to get the babies out of there, because they are at high risk of premature death unless you give birth to them... now.."

"Now?" I ask, my eyes widening...

I must have been imagining that...

They were hardly 29 weeks old.

"Yes, ma'am. The babies have a high chance of survival if they are taken now, so we can tend to any damages caused already.."

"And if she doesn't give birth now...?" Vincenzo asks.

"She will continue to faint for the time being, worsening the babies' situation, ending in eventual death or severe brain damage in the twins... however, she won't make it to full term... nor will the infants.."

"So if she doesn't give birth now, the babies will die and so will she?" Vincenzo hisses, clearly becoming enraged.

"Yes, sir." The doctor nods, "She will eventually go into cardiac arrest, or suffer a severe brain hemorrhage..."