Chapter 11

Images flash into your head as you sit alone away from view of what happened only several minutes ago, you start to feel guilt while patiently waiting for techno to finish 'taking care of things'.

Techno picks up one of the swords and covers from the ground near the slain mercenary, he examines it before cleaning it off and promptly sheathing it to his side. He takes whatever money he can find and a small map of the holy kingdom packing it away in a stolen leather bag.

When he finally meets up with you no words are exchanged on the walk back home. All you could think about was how dire his crime had to be for someone to come looking all the way out here.

You massage your temples as you feeble attempt to collect your rambling thoughts. Unaware of the puzzled look Techno shoots your way, he grabs your shoulder, snapping you away from your thoughts to look up at him.

"yes?"

"What's wrong? Are you hurt anywhere?"

"oh! Uh no no! I just hate silence that's all"

"I see, then let me say something, I haven't been very fair to you. What I should've done was tell you what was going on before it was too late"

You listened carefully, glancing at him every so often. He continued

"I'm a wanted man as I've told you...they are after my bounty which is...a lot"

"Oh yeah? How much?" You looked at the ground thinking he was probably exaggerating.

"1,000,000 gold, though it could be more now" He answered casually. You stared wide eyed, you knew he seemed like someone important but now you were thinking he killed a prince or something crazy.

"huh...that's enough to buy a whole country!"

"no... Its not"

"oh...I don't know how money works" You shrug sheepishly and he nods, understanding your special situation.

"So uh....you really killed those guys right?"

"I did"

"wow, I mean...I knew they wanted to kill us but...man I just... What if they had families" You looked down, guilty of what had happened.

"let me tell you something" he stopped you looking right into your eyes. "It was either them or us, there was no way they were backing down. Even if they begged all that would happen is that they'd get more people" He looked away and kept walking "I've seen happen countless times, people are slow to trust and quick to stab you in the back"

You thought about his words, for some reason they hurt, did he maybe feel the same about you?

Walking through the door, the house seemed different now that lives had been lost right in front of you and even because of you. Home felt hollow. You sat down, Techno in front with a serious look.

"I'll start from the beginning...or well I'll summarize it for you." He pondered his next words, truly wondering if this was the best option.

"I was...framed for killing my brother"

You gasped, you didn't know what you were expecting but it definitely wasn't that. He grimaced at your shocked expression, quickly looking away before he continued.

"now my family has put a huge bounty on my head in order to hunt me down and publicly execute me for being a traitor"

You didn't know what to say, this was a lot to take in. But he just kept going.

"So I have to leave...I have to go before more people show up and your forest is no longer safe. Do you understand?"

He stared right into your e/c eyes, his black irises burning deep into you.