Chapter 38

With a loud creek the city gates slowly slid open, alerting the mercenaries that just outside the doors. They waited with sick grins as the only blockade between the people inside and them slowly opened, almost inviting them to pillage to their hearts' content. But just meters away you stood with what little man power you had, four soldiers and a witch would defend their home. 

"well well well…giving up so soon?" The leader of the mercenaries laughed as he hopped off his horse. "So the prince really is gone…and it's only the four of you" He gestured to the knights, not counting you as being able to help. He didn't even acknowledge the bright flames burning from your hands as being a threat. 

"Are you sure you know how to use those?" He teased, you raised your hands ready to attack if he got any closer. 

"when you walk through those gates I can't guarantee you'll walk back out" You spoke, he clicked his tongue in annoyance before signaling to his men. They charged without a word exchanged, swords and bows drawn.  When the first arrows came down from the skies toward you the soldiers panicked trying to shield you. 

"Your grace! Take cover!" Your eyes widened at the barrage, you raised your hands to the sky and closed your eyes. That when you felt the mana flow from your chest into your palms emitting a darkflame that engulfed the arrows disintegrating them as they came into contact.  

"w-woah" A knight gasped, the area had been bathed in purple light. You opened your eyes to see the shocked faces of everyone around you, wondering what happened till you saw just how big the flame around your hands had gotten. 

"oh fuck!" You vigorously shook your hands, scared by the sudden increase of heat. The knights however looked up at you, grateful you were unharmed. "wow that was close right?" 

The mercenary Leader was not so amused, "again." He spoke darkly, at his word the archers let loose another rain of arrows. This time the knights were ready, raising their shields to block the arrows from damaging you. 

"t-thanks" You spoke softly, they nodded in response. The mercenaries charged in your moment of weakness, raising their swords to one of the guards in the front.  He fought them off but more would come, you clicked your fingers to ignite your hands once again. Just as you went to fire at them the leader of the mercenaries ran at you with his sword ready to strike. You dodged his blade just in time, his mocking face made you feel sour. 

You tried to build up more flames but before you could he slashed through the flame you had made, cutting off the flow of mana and extinguishing it. Your eyes widened In fear, making his face contort into a sadistic smile that sent shivers down your spine.

"What's wrong? Don't have enough time to cast?" 

He tried to cut you down once again, holding your arm up to protect your head. His blade struck down on your arm leaving a deep wound, the pain made you fall back trying to stop the bleeding.

"Argh! f-fuck" You desperately clung the wound close to you, but the pain was surging through you. The man laughed at your pathetic attempts to oppose him, you were still so new to your powers that you had no control and no way to fight back. 

"wow...you're the lord filling in for the prince? This is truly pathetic..." He lifted his sword up ready to strike you with one final blow, when a powerful gust of wind blew the man off his feet and threw him into the wall with a painful thud. You heard the sound of wings flapping above you, there flying in the air was Philza. He held a sword and a serious look, all of the mercenaries eyes widened in shock of the Avian knowing just how dangerous they were. 

"Step back y/n...you're not ready yet" His voice was stern but still fatherly, he spoke with care as he landed in front of your sword drawn. The leader stood up from where he landed, dusting off the debris and dust from the landing. 

"well...looks like someone actually stayed behind" 

The other mercenaries charged at Philza, he fended two off, disarming one and dueling with the other so skillfully. He used his wind magic effortlessly as he fought the attacking mercenaries. His eyes glances towards you and the other injured guards.

"Take them and leave! I'll hold them here!" He ordered the knights, who nodded trying to take you away from the fight. 

"wait! No! I can help!"

As they pulled you away your eyes widened when a third attacker tried to strike Philza from behind. Your hand instinctively reached out to stop him, making you accidentally shoot a powerful blast of mana. It struck the attackers arms burning them so badly he had to drop his weapon from the pain. 

"AAAGGGHHH" The screams of pain rang out, shocking all of the mercenaries who stood and watched. The man gripped his arm while trying to put out the flames but he wouldn't stop burning him, he screamed until the flames had engulfed his whole arm burning the flesh before your eyes. The others looked in horror at their brother in arms being burnt by your magical purple flame. 

The leader's eyes hardened, taking his sword and cutting off the screaming man's arm before the flame spread to his whole body. The now armless man fainted from pain and shock, while the leader didn't even flinch. The arm continued to burn until it completely disintegrated, leaving the smell of burnt flesh to swirl through the air. You were frozen in place, you had almost burnt this man to death, you had been prepared to shed blood but it's easier said than done. Philza stared at where the man's arm once lay now turned to ash in fear of what this really meant.

"you're lucky I don't take your hands for this" 

Seeing their comrade almost cooked alive had turned their eagerness upside down, with swords lowered they ran out of the gate's tail between their legs. The leader stayed face full of anger, before retreating with his men, they might come back but for now this battle was over.

You breathed a heavy sigh of relief when their horses disappeared behind the horizon, while everyone stared in fearful silence. Philza walked to you, offering a hand to help you up that you gladly accepted. 

"What the hell was that?" He asked, stunned. 

"I...I don't know...I was just so scared you'd get hurt I...I..." 

He sighed, knowing that you didn't have all the pieces yet either. He urged you to go back to the castle and patch yourself up while he'd get back to you after researching more into what happened. You silently agreed, Philza knew what was best in that moment and you would need time to process it. 

When you got back to the castle Andriel was furious, she scolded you for being so careless as she patched your arm up. You apologised profusely saying you just wanted to protect everyone. 

"I know your grace" Her look softened, "Thank you for protecting us" Her face suddenly turned sad and full of anguish as she stared down at your injured arm. She clutched it, laying her head in her lap as she began to cry. 

"I'm so sorry Your grace..."  She sobbed, "you're our only hope, please don't get hurt" You pet her head, trying to calm her down. Unsure of why she was so upset about all this. 

"t-thank you, I'm sorry for being so shameful in front of your lordship" 

"it's okay Andriel...w..why do you care so much?" 

She looked up with puffy eyes, sparkling with admiration. 

"my lord, do...do you remember the man you saved from being executed?" 

"yes...yes of course" She took your hands gently to place her forehead on them as a sign of trust.

"That man was my father, your grace. I will always be eternally grateful to you for saving the last of my family. So please do not sacrifice yourself for people as lowly as us...after what happened with the prince's mother we do not deserve your grace" She confessed, admitting that she would be loyal to you and only you to pay back her debt. 

And for the first time you had made an ally. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Words:1436