Chapter 23

Tubbo ran down from his cover to aid Philza who still lay still, bleeding out from his back. You watched the little goat boy weep at the sight of his surrogate father as you let all the children free from their constraints. Without even thinking about themselves they rushed over to their guardians side. Philzas wings had been pierced and damaged, because of the fragility it was most likely he wouldn't be able to fly even if he recovered. Tubbo choked through sobs, carefully carrying his avian guardian. He found the strength to carry him through all the memories of Philza always being there to help him. 

"y-you can't die on me old man" 

"Is Mr Philza gonna be alright Tubbo?" 

Tubbo couldn't bear to look at the broken faces of his brothers and sisters, they had been brave, braver than him, maybe if he had done something earlier it wouldn't have turned out like this. Yo and Techno followed everyone inside, ushering the kids and swaddling them together to warm up and stay calm. Techno left the calming to you, fearing his presence would only put them on edge more. 

Tubbo laid Philza on his front, arrows stuck out. He didn't know what to do. Suddenly a heavy hand was placed on his shoulder, he looked up to the solemn looking Technoblade. 

"I…I don't know what to do" 

"He's going to die" Techno said coldly, dying was a way of life,  though fae were few in numbers they had long life spans, when a Fae of this status died it was a big deal. Tubbo couldn't believe it, he grabbed Techno's arms and tried to shake the man.  

"Please! There has to be something! Anything you can do!" 

Techno stared thoughtfully at the bolts that drained the life blood of Philza. He sighed.

"Nothing could work now but a high level healing magic…you don't happen to have any mages with high mana do you?" 

"m-mages? Well…we do but they're all too young…they don't have enough mana" Tubbo looked to the ground in defeat,  he was useless. "what good is being a fae if you can't use your powers to save your loved ones…" 

Tubbo felt more tears flow involuntarily down his cheeks, he just couldn't hold back anymore. Then he felt a tug at his shirt, he looked back wiping his eyes in surprise at what he saw.  

"Brother" It was the dragonfly winged girl and several of the other healing type fae "If we can save Mr Philza I'll gladly give up all my mana" she smiled, confidently. Tubbos' heart swelled.

"But…if you go to far you could hurt yourselves" He pet the girls head lovingly, "I know Philza would kill me if I let anything happen to you guys" 

The girl shook her head, moving Tubbo's hand off her. 

"We can do it!" The other children nodded their heads in agreement, ready to save their precious friend and father. Tubbo was doubtful at first until Techno stepped in. 

"if you think you can do it you have to put your all into it" 

Techno moved Tubbo to the side, letting the kids come closer. In unison the little ones raised their palms towards the wound on Philzas back and began pouring their mana into it. Their palms gave off a light green glow,  magic was outlawed here but the kids would've done anything to save their father because they knew he'd always do the same. 

After a couple of minutes some of the kids' mana faded completely, leaving them exhausted or even fainting on the spot. Until only the dragonfly girl stood alone, she was the youngest and was fueled with the determination to save Philza because it was her fault he was like this, she felt the most guilty even though no one would ever blame her. The green light in her palm began to flicker as her mana was reaching her limit and within a couple of minutes she fell unconscious from the excessive use.

No one was left to help. 

Tubbo quickly raced to the side of Philza checking his wounds, only a few of the bolts managed to come out but two more arrows that lay embedded deep in his back remained, it wasn't enough. 

"He's fine now but his condition will worsen soon. We need more mana" 

knock knock

A polite knock shifted Tubbos gaze to the door, you peered into the room. You'd gotten most of the kids to sleep but were missing a few. 

"h-hey…I don't mean to interrupt but…I was just worried about the kids" 

Techno immediately picked up the several children, who lay unconscious effortlessly. 

"I'll take them to sleep…Just leave Tubbo to do what he needs to" 

He gave you a firm nod before walking out the door, you frowned, these kids would soon lose the only person they could trust. You gave Tubbo a sympathetic look and wrapped your arms around him in a warming embrace. He tucked his head into your shoulder and began to sob, letting out his feelings of guilt and sorrow for letting something like this happen. 

"I wish there was something I could do" you spoke softly, hugging him tight. He was only a little boy despite how he tried to act tough. He just stood there, empty. He closed his eyes as exhaustion took over, until He heard the crackling of flames coming from your chest. He sensed a heat radiating off of you, he finally understood. He could sense mana like Philza could. He grabbed your arms looking up at your face, surprising you. 

"You're a witch! That's why Philza saved you! So you can save him now" 

"What?!" Your shocked expression went unnoticed by Tubbo as he spun you around to heal Philza. He put your palms out for you, hovering them above the man whose life hung by a thread.

"Listen I know I asked a lot from you before and I'm so grateful you saved my family but...I just need this last favour" He looked up at you, his bright blue eyes filled with hope, he'd finally have a way to save his family. You wanted to help, but you didn't know how; you closed your eyes trying to do something! But you had no idea what you were doing.

"I can't!" You looked at your palms not even sure how to start. 

"Of course you can!" He moved your hands back into position. He thought about the words Philza told him when he was practicing his plant magic, he repeated the words he was told. "Just stay calm, don't hold your breath...you need to breathe" You were unknowingly holding your breath from the pressure, so you let go, your shoulders relaxed with you.

"Now close your eyes and think about the blood flowing through you, mana travels through those same veins" Tubbo began to tear up at the memory of his father and tutor.

"all you have to do is feel it in your palms"

You did so, feeling a kid of warm pressure build from down your arms and into your hands where it pooled. 

"then release..." 

At Tubbo's words you breathed out, letting a bright purple light emit from the palms of your hands. The mana formed and surrounded Philza like a warm blanket. At first you panicked about moving your hands away until you saw the bolt burst into flames and disappear from Philzas back. The dry and fresh blood soon disappeared into the flames leaving nothing but an already healed scar. When he was stable you yanked your hands away,  severing the connection and putting the flames out. 

"y-you did it" Tubbo stood in shocked silence, Philza had stopped bleeding and the bolts had disintegrated in front of his eyes he couldn't believe it and neither could you. 

"Philza..." He gasped, and grabbed his father's hand in relief giving it a small squeeze. He could feel Philzas one weak heartbeat become stronger by the second. He wept tears of joy feeling the pain in his heart melt away by Phil As light breaths. 

You smiled at the scene, it was truly heartwarming. But something else blocked your mind from celebrating. What happened was real, you were a witch.

And just outside, unbeknownst to you someone else withheld their celebrations. Technoblade saw everything, had you lied to him this whole time about being a witch? 

"...we're Partners huh?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Words:1421