Chapter 35

All was fine or all seemed fine, the kids played, techno eased up on work, but you still had nothing to do. Approaching the servants to ask if they needed help was impossible, many would turn tail at your presence or look upon you with disgust. You didn't really care for their opinions since they had a right to see you however they wanted, that was until you heard the way they gossiped.

"have you heard the rumours?" A maid whispered, her words like poison to your ears as you tried to ignore their blatant lack of awareness. 

"what?" Another responded

"Our prince might get engaged to a commoner, why do I have to serve such a stupid master" Their tongues were sharp and words cut deep. 

"I wish I was fired like those other lucky servants...The other maid snickered, their eyes glancing towards you with a smug look like they knew you were listening.

"They probably cast a spell on our lord and when he breaks free he'll definitely kill that witch" 

"Definitely" She repeated, walking off with her friend to presumably gossip more instead of working. You sigh in relief, just happy the halls were quiet for your daily stroll around the castle. Why did they feel the need to mock and belittle you? Was it for the chance to get fired like what had happened last time? They would rather be jobless than take responsibility for their actions.

"your grace!!" a voice calls out to you, you recognize her as being the maid who showed you around the very first day. She has a warm smile as she curtsies to you like she had done during your first meeting. "Good morning your grace" She spoke so politely "Our Lord wishes to see you if you have the time" She asks, gesturing for you to follow her. 

"O-of course!" You say nervously, confused by her happy and respectful demeanor even though you weren't a noble and everyone knew. She nods, leading you to the map room where Techno and Philza sat chatting away. You hear the middle of their conversation.

"-I see, if that's what you want then I'll give you full control" Techno nods to Philza who smiles in response.

"thanks again...if there's anything I can do to repay you please ask." 

"There's no need, I always try to help fae and beastfolk alike" 

Philza brought Techno into a hug, surprising the stoic man who had no idea what to do. 

"you're a prince worthy of the crown you wear" He pats Technos back thankfully. 

"o-oh" Technos ears twitch, before he hugs back slightly. "Thank you"

"what's going on here?" You interrupt, Technos eyes widen at your voice and pushes Philza away to compose himself. The avian lets out a chuckle in response, before turning to you. 

"The kids and I are leaving the castle, we're going to build another orphanage in the town where I'll take in any of the poor kids that need help" He smiles proudly.

"That's incredible." You marvel. "I'm always in awe of how strong and kindhearted you can be, those kids really love you" He smiles sheepishly in response, Techno frowns turning his unamused face to you. 

"What about me?" He questions, feeling left out that he wasn't being praised too. You roll your eyes, before sarcastically remarking. 

"Oh my prince, my knees buckle from the weight of your excessive generosity. Please accept this peasants thanks" you mock bow to him Philza laughs while Techno chuckles, rolling his eyes. 

Philza takes off his hat to give Techno one last bow as goodbye, today they would all depart. 

"Please come say goodbye later, we'll wait outside" He gave you a quick hug and goodbye and with that the blonde man left, his wings swinging happily behind him. Finally the kids could have a proper home to call their own. When he was out of sight and earshot, Techno spoke in a serious tone. It made you worry, just slightly.