Chapter 17

After several hours the Carriage came to a sudden halt. Techno quickly covered the both of you with a blanket and told you to stay quiet. 

"Good evening sir, I need your identification card and we're going to have a look at your goods." 

The driver fumbled for his card, handing it over to the guard, who quickly confirmed it. 

"you're clear to search" 

More guards walked around the back of the carriage, searching through barrels and creations of perishable foods. Just as they were about to pull your only covering a loud booming voice interrupted them. 

"What is going on here?! You're blocking the road!" 

The guard turned around quickly saluting to a man in black armor.  The guard explained that they were doing a routine border check.

"Just start moving, you don't want to keep the prince waiting do you?!" 

The guard's eyes widened in fear, shaking his head. 

"Let them pass!" 

The carriage moved out of the way for the royal carriage behind them, the carriage was Red and lined with gold ornaments, pulled by black stallions. When the Guard gave the signal you we're off again. 

"phew…that was close huh Techno" 

You turned to him, seeing that his face was filled with fear. What had shaken him up so badly? You placed a hand on his shoulder, shocking him back. 

"it's okay now Techno, we made it in" 

You smiled at him, trying to comfort him but all he could muster was a sad nod in return. The carriage stopped once again. 

"Here we are! You're safe to get out here now, but watch out for guards alright?" 

You took off the blanket,  giving the driver a wide smile.  

"Thank you so much!" 

He smiled in return waving you off. The moment you stepped off the smell of market stall food, coal from blacksmiths and smoke from homes made you cough. It was quite an intense smell that you'd never experienced before. 

"Cover your mouth, you'll get used to it soon" Techno said, realising that you were overwhelmed. He put your hood over your head then put on his own before continuing. You walked for a couple of minutes arriving at another Inn, you went to rent a room but they said they were full. It was like that for the next couple of Inns too, apparently there was a festival soon that brought in tourists from all over. 

"Looks like all the Inns in the Middle city are booked out" 

"what are we gonna do?"  you asked innocently, he looked at you sadly. 

"I'll find something I promise...In the meantime why don't we get something to e-"

"oof!" A little squeak from a small child as they ran right into Techno could be heard. He was a small brown haired kid, you couldn't get a good look at him though because as soon as he appeared he had run off and disappeared into the crowd, but you swear you saw little horns peeking out of his fluffy hair. 

"rude little brats" Techno grumbled before walking to the closest food stall. "two skewers please" Techno raised two fingers to the shopkeeper, who nodded.

"that'll be two small bronze" 

Techno reached into his satchel to take his money but it wasn't there. 

"heh?!" Techno rummaged through his belongings, desperately searching for it but it was nowhere to be seen. You looked at him, worried. 

"Techno are you okay?" He looked up at you with wide eyes.