Chapter 27

Author's note: Heeyy y'all

Mia sat down next to Bella's unconscious body and held back a deep sigh. She supposed, in a way, Bella was really lucky. She wished she could forget Vampires ever existed, forget Edward ever existed. Maybe if she did, she'd be home instead of sitting on this couch ready to risk her life for a girl she barely knew.

She thought back to how she met Edward. Some days she regretted ever coming to school that day.

"Mr. Wiiiiiilllll" Mia called out to her favorite teacher as she walked towards him in the hallway. It was an hour before school and Mia showed up early hoping to talk to him.

"What can I do for you Mia?" The English teacher gave her an exasperated smile because he already knew what she was coming to talk about.

He gestured for her to follow him as he walked toward his first class for the day. Making it to the empty classroom he allowed Mia to sit at one of the many desks before he leaned against the large desk at the front to hear her out.

"Ok Mr. Will, don't look at me like that. I know we've already discussed my grade but I'm soooo close to an A, couldn't you just bump my grade up a little bit? For your favorite student ever?" Mia gave him a pleading look. He chuckled softly and then thought for a moment.

"You know what Mia? How about this, there's some new students coming today and we're already halfway through 'The Handmaid's Tale', how about you catch the new students up on our past lessons and IF they pass the test at the end of next week then I'll bump up your grade." He gave her a gentle smile as she agreed quickly.

"Got it! No problem." Mia was beaming as she made her way to the door before she turned back around quickly as she thought of something. "But what if they're stupid?" She frowned up at her teacher as he gave a quick laugh.

"The test will be multiple choice and only over things we've covered in class, I'm sure they'll be fine with your guidance." He reassured her as he shooed her away from the classroom before she asked more questions.

By the time school had started and Mia was walking toward the English classroom, she was anxious. What if they were dumb? Or just didn't care? She really wanted that A. She had heard people talking about the new kids, they were cute, at least according to the girls she heard talking about them in the bathroom.

Entering the classroom she could see the new kids standing at Mr. Wills desk and quickly made her way over.

"Mia! Just in time, I was just telling Edward and Jasper here about how you're gonna be helping them." Mia watched as they both turned around, wow, they were gorgeous. She smiled wide as she waved at them, she just hoped they weren't stupid.

"Hi Mia, I'm Edward" The boy with bronze hair and gold eyes was smiling at her like she was his sun and she was lost.

"Mia" Turning to meet the amber eyes of Jasper as he kneeled down in front of her she already knew what he was going to say.

"I know I don't have to do this Jas, but I want to." Mia winced as her voice cracked.

"Empath remember? No you don't. We can find another way." He gripped her hands in his as he talked. "I'm literally on my knees here Mia, don't do this, not for him." Jasper's eyes flicked to Edward for a moment.

Mia took a shaky breath as she looked into his eyes that were alight with desperation. Could she really put him and Rose through the pain she went through when she lost her mom? For Bella? For Edward? She squeezed his stone-like hands.

"We can't kill her Jas, I wouldn't be able to live with myself." Jasper's mouth curled into a smile and he quickly scooped up the small witch and hugged her tight as her words registered.

"Mia..." Edward's next words were cut off as every vampire in the room froze and looked toward the door in horror. The room spun for a moment as Mia was placed behind the group of vampires in an instant.

Mia could feel the tension in the air as she waited with bated breath for whatever threat they heard coming. Her fingers twitched slightly as her eyes began to glow. A soft knock was heard on the door and they all watched as Carlisle opened it hesitantly. Mia couldn't see anything standing behind Emmett who had planted himself in front of her, but what she heard had her frozen for a moment.

"Hello Carlisle, don't look so happy to see us." Jane giggled as she stepped through the door followed by her brother Alec.

"We're terribly sorry, we just weren't...prepared for a visit from the Volturi, there are no open rooms in the house." Esme stepped in hurriedly as she stood slightly behind Carlisle's left shoulder.

"Don't worry we're not here to stay, we're here for.." Alec's eyes darted around the room quickly before landing on his target with a sharp glare. "Her"

"Janie? Alec?" Mia's eyes would fall out if she opened them any wider as she made her way to the front door. "What are you two doing here?"

The way the room stilled made Mia aware, now more than ever, that she was in a room full of vampires.

"You have a lot of explaining to do." The shocked silence was broken by Jane who, unknowingly spoke for every vampire in the room.