Chapter 15

Walking into the house Edward was stopped from entering the living room by his siblings, all of whom were glaring at him. Sighing, he crossed his arms as he waited for the lecture they were going to give him.

"Stay away from her Edward." The coldness of Emmett's glare as he said the words surprised his brother, but he meant them. Edward had hurt his sister enough, and he wouldn't let it keep happening.

"I didn't mean to hurt her." Reading Jasper and Rose's minds he could tell they were all on the same page, keeping him away from Mia at all costs.

"Your intentions don't matter, you did. Own up to it." Edward hung his head as he allowed Rose's words to wash over him. He knew he hurt her, but he just couldn't stay away from her. Why couldn't they understand that?

Jasper straightened his back as he felt Edward's determination wash over him. "You will stay away from her or we'll make you. This is your only warning." Sending his pitiful brother one last glare he left the room, his siblings following him.

Edward tried to shake off the encounter as he headed toward his piano. He had promised Mia that he would stay away from her, so why was it such a problem when his siblings said it? He began to play Mia's song absentmindedly as his mind turned to her pained expression during their talk. Maybe staying away from her would be for the best, but he could feel his dead heart clench at the thought. The upbeat tone of Mia's song morphed into a more somber one as he transitioned into Bella's lullaby. The music stopped as Edward heard his sister enter the room.

"Edward, Bella called. She said you weren't responding to her texts." Alice came up behind him as she said the words.

"I was busy. I'll text her later." Edward really couldn't be bothered with Bella at the moment, and he knew he should feel bad about it, but he didn't.

"You can't just ignore your girlfriend Edward." Alice said through clenched teeth. She was singing the alphabet in Spanish in her head and that made Edward narrowed his eyes as he stared her down.

"What are you hiding Alice?" She smiled at him innocently as she shook her head. She opened her mouth to answer when it was cut off by a scream from upstairs. "Mia!" Edward was in her room in seconds, his siblings appearing seconds after him.

Mia was sitting straight up in her bed as everyone gathered around her. She tried to control her breathing as she looked around her room carefully. She could see the worried faces of her family as she surveyed her room carefully. She noticed Alice standing by the doorway, but she made no move to enter. Her attention was drawn toward Edward as he kneeled in front of her.

"What happened baby? Are you hurt?" He grabbed her face gently as he stared into her eyes wishing that she would allow him access into her mind, if only for a moment.

Mia pulled away from him as she stood up and faced the rest of the family. "Someone tried to get in my room. I don't know who, but they activated the shield I put around my room that stops people with ill intent from entering. Whoever they were, they tried to come through the window." The words barely passed her lips before Jasper was out of the window searching for the scent of the intruder. Edward watched as Rose hugged Mia to her enviously, he scanned her body as he observed the scene. He knew she was safe but he had to make sure, he stepped closer to her as his eyes constantly surveyed the room for potential threats. He bit back the growl building in his throat as he watched Emmett pull her into a small hug and continued to survey the room. He didn't even notice that Alice had left as he focused on Mia who gestured for him to come to her. He was in front of her in an instant.

Blinking quickly Mia peered up at him and gave him a small smile. "I really hate it when you do that. I just wanted to say thank you for getting up here so quickly." Edward couldn't stop the goofy grin spreading across his face as he got lost in her brown eyes.

"You don't need to thank me, I'll always protect you." He hoped that she could see the truth in his eyes. He would die for her without question if it meant she would be happy. He positioned her behind him quickly as he heard fast steps approaching the room. He relaxed as Jasper came into view, but kept Mia pressed against his back as she peered over his shoulder at his brother.

"There was no scent to follow, but whoever it was left footprints heading north." Jasper's mind was racing as he fell back into his role as a soldier. If they came once and were unsuccessful they would come back with reinforcements. Regardless, they'd be ready and nobody would get to Mia, they would have to kill him first. He felt Edward's gratitude and determination as his brother met his eyes and nodded, clearly they were both on the same page.

"They'll be back." Mia's words were met with silence as everyone turned toward her. "What are we going to do Major?" Turning her eyes toward Jasper she watched as his posture stiffened and his eyes darkened.

"We're gonna protect you darling, and kill whoever tried to hurt you." Flashing Mia a dark smile the Major gestured for Rose and Emmett to follow him as he left the room, a plan already forming in his mind.

As they left Edward turned back toward Mia who was already looking at him with narrowed eyes.

"Edward I have a question, and I want you to answer honestly." Edward nodded immediately.

"Of course love, I'd never lie to you." He stepped closer until there was just an inch of space left between them. Mia cleared her throat and took a step back before opening her mouth.

"How did you hear me scream?" Edward stiffened as he looked everywhere but at her. "Look at me Edward. You promised to be honest." As she looked up at him through her lashes he couldn't stop the truth from spilling from his lips.

"I may have...borrowed one of your crystals." He winced as he waited for her response.

"I know. I just wanted you to say it." Mia sighed as she sat back on her bed and looked up at him. "I was pissed about it until I realized it could have saved my life considering the circumstances. So you get a pass, just for today." She held her hand out and the missing crystal was placed there before she could blink.

"You're not gonna still use it right? Somebody tried to kill you." Mia's eyebrows furrowed as she took in his words. She hated to admit it, but he was right.

"Fine, but no more eavesdropping." Edward nodded just as Mia's phone began to ring. Mia gestured toward the door as she answered it.

As the door closed behind him, Edward heard a distinctly male voice ask if she was alright.

Author's Note: Hey ya'll I know I've been MIA, but school and depression have been kicking my ass, so bare with me please. I hope you guys enjoyed, see you on the next one :)