Chapter 16

Author's Note: I'm back!! Life got really crazy for a while, but I'm going to try to get back into updating regularly again. Enjoy :)

Walking down the stairs Edward tried to ignore his intrusive thoughts. Who was that? How did they know Mia? Was this the babe she had been talking to? He could feel his lips curl up into a sneer at the last thought.

Reaching the living room he tuned into the conversation around him. Jasper was laying out a plan of action for Rosalie and Emmett. Walking toward the group he read Jasper's mind and quickly caught up to the present plan. Jasper sent Emmett and Rosalie upstairs to guard Mia before turning to his brother.

"I've already called Esme, but she and Carlisle were on their way to Seattle, so they won't be back for at least an hour. Edward, I need to talk to you for a minute." Gesturing toward the back door, Jasper ran out with Edward following closely behind.

They ran in silence until they were out of hearing range of everyone in the house. Edward turned toward Jasper who was blocking his thoughts from him.

"What is it Jas?" Edward waited impatiently, wanting to get back to Mia as soon as possible.

Jasper took an unnecessary deep breath as he prepared for the potential blowback from what he had to say. But he had to say it. He straightened his back and looked his brother in the eye.

"Edward, Bella isn't your mate and Alice isn't mine." Edward just stared blankly at his brother after the words left his mouth.

The silence was becoming uncomfortable as Jasper waited for Edward to react to what he had just been told.

"How do you know?" The question was whispered but Jasper still heard it.

"Alice...She's been planning this scenario for quite some time now." Edward was overcome with Jasper's memory of discovering Alice's treachery.

Jasper had been looking for his wife for about 10 minutes before he caught her scent miles away from the house. He was curious about what she could be doing as she hadn't told anyone she was leaving, not even him.

He was about a mile away from her when her emotions slammed into him. Anger, exasperation and...lust?

Jasper stopped running abruptly as the emotions registered to him. He could now hear her on the phone.

"No, I've been doing everything you asked, but I can't keep doing this. I have to have sex with that thing! Pretend that I love him, I feel like I'm betraying you." Jasper could feel the Major pushing toward the forefront of his mind, but he couldn't release him until he had more information.

"I know we have a plan baby, but it's been decades. I'm just tired of pretending, that's all." Jasper could hear whispering from the phone but whoever it was made sure to talk very quietly. It was only moments later that Alice responded.

"Yes, I took care of Mia like you said." Jasper held in his rage as it began to brew inside him. He listened for more. "He's going to meet Bella tomorrow and everything should fall into place from there." Alice let out a sigh. "I know, I love you too."

Jasper turned and headed toward the house before Alice could realize she had been caught, his mind racing the whole time.

"THAT BITCH!" Jasper was silent as he watched Edward take his anger out on the nearby trees. Once he was done he turned toward Jasper while he straightened out his clothes.

"You done?" Jasper was smirking, but they both realized the seriousness of the situation as Edward nodded and began to question his brother.

"How have you been hiding this from all of us? From me?" Jasper could feel the hurt and anger coming from his brother and his heart twisted with guilt at the betrayal he felt coming from him.