Chapter 4

Walking down the stairs felt like Mia was walking the green mile. Feeling her friends presence behind her brought her a small comfort, at least she wasn't walking it alone. When they made it to the first floor she found that Bella and Edward were nowhere to be found, thank goodness, she could only deal with so much at one time. Noticing the evil munchkin walking up to her she knew she wasn't completely out of the woods. Of course not, she sighed. That would be too easy.

"Hey Mia, isn't Bella great? she's my best friend." The little demon was just standing there looking like the cat who caught the canary. Mia held her hand up to Jasper as she saw him open his mouth to reprimand his bitch of a wife.

"I wouldn't know Alice, we didn't get a chance to really talk. But if she's your friend then I have to question her sanity." Moving past her before she could say another word Mia and her designated bodyguards moved towards the kitchen where Esme and funnily enough Emmett were making lunch.

"Emmett...you're cooking?" Rose's confused tone matched everyone's thoughts at the large man standing over the stove wearing an apron that was entirely too small. The smell of marinara sauce and cheese wafted over Mia as she was led to a stool by a still guilty looking Esme.

"Yeah, I thought I'd help mom cook. It's been a while since we used the kitchen, well not a while per say on account of'." Rose's glare stopped Emmett's mouth vomit mid sentence. "What I meant is, I missed you chocolate drop, and I feel like a jerk for not telling you about Bella, so we're making your favorite." He sat a plate of steaming chicken marinara in front of Mia with a tentative smile on his face. He watched as she said nothing and simply prayed over her food briefly and took a bite. He watched her chew for a moment before she swallowed and looked up at the fidgeting vampire staring at her.

"You have to carry me everywhere for the rest of the day." Emmett nodded with a relieved smile on his face. Mia turned to Esme who was cleaning the kitchen at a human pace waiting for her daughter to acknowledge her. "Mama C-" She had barely gotten the words out before Esme had engulfed her in her arms all the while whispering apologies into her hair.

"How about we have breakfast for dinner sweetie? I can make my waffles, I know how you've missed them." Esme was wringing her hands as she waited for Mia's response. She hoped she wasn't terribly mad, she just wanted everybody to be happy.

"You're gonna have to make a lot of waffles, and bacon too." Mia gave her a large smile that was returned with another hug, she could never stay mad at Esme.

"Something smells good." Mia went back to eating as casually as she could as Bella entered the kitchen. She was followed by Edward of course, Mia rolled her eyes, just like a dog.

"Uh, yeah we just made Mia some lunch. I didn't make any for you, sorry Bella." Emmett scratched his head and looked toward Esme who quickly explained that she would be making dinner in a couple of hours, but could find her a snack if she was hungry.

"No it's fine Esme, I would never make you cook for me." Bella shot her a glance as she said the comment. Mia rolled her eyes, clearly Edward had told her about the whole ex-girlfriend thing. Deciding not to rise to the bait she continued to eat and shook her head at Rose who had fire in her eyes at the snide comment. She didn't blame her, no one liked being around their partner's ex, hell she didn't want to be here either.

They all stood in an awkward silence aside from Mia and Jasper talking quietly as she finished her food. As soon as her plate was empty Esme was already washing it, wow they were really sucking up to her, she giggled at the thought and stood up.

"Emmett I would like to go to the living room please." Holding her arms out, she giggled as Emmett leaned down so she could jump on his back. "Onwards my trusty steed to the couch." Everyone followed them into the living room, even the new couple, she ignored them as best she could. "Jaz, you okay?" Mia noticed how tense Jasper had seemed in the kitchen and it only seemed to be getting worse.

"Fine, it's just Bella's scent is very...potent. You know it's always harder for me." Of course it is, her poor empathetic friend. Looking at Bella who hadn't heard what Jasper said, Mia focused on the brunette as the heat built in her fingertips. Waving her hand over the girl she watched Jasper for his reaction. Smiling as he stiffened and then took a deep breath. Looking around she noticed everyone was staring at her.

"What?" Mia watched as Edward looked at Bella standing next to him and took a deep breath unknowingly copying Jasper.

"What did you do?" The question came from Edward but she would answer it anyway, she could see the same question in everyone's eyes.

"Her scent was bothering Jasper, so I made it more subdued. Think of it as a scent blocker, it's still there, but you'd have to practically inside of her to smell it." Emmett snorted at her comment, and before she knew it she was being spun around by the curly headed blonde.

"Oh sweetheart how I've missed those magic hands of yours. Do you think you could come to school with us too?" Mia frowned as he tried to give her puppy dog eyes, those would never work on her.

"No thanks cowboy, scent blocking is easy on one person, but a whole school." Mia shuddered. "I'd pass out by second period, but as long as Bella is in the house you'll have nothing to worry about." She glanced at Bella who was now looking at her as Edward explained something to her. She guessed it was about her 'talents' As Edward stopped talking, Mia quirked an eyebrow as she watched Bella walk over to her.

"Can we talk?" Mia pondered her request for only a second before nodding.