Chapter 28

Despite the fact that Mia seemed to know the dangerous vampires, Edward moved her to the center of the room where the Cullens quickly surrounded her. He tried scanning Jane and Alec's thoughts but they were intentionally thinking about everything but the small witch that seemed to know every vampire she came across.

Turning to Mia he waited, along with everyone else for an explanation. To her credit, Mia wasn't intimidated by the staredown she was now having with the whole house. Instead she looked around once, sighed and locked eyes with Edward.

"It's a...long story." Trying not to fidget under his stare she debated whether she would let him see the memory. It was embarrassing and she had already done enough to feed his ego. She felt a hand on her shoulder and turned to see Jasper standing directly behind her. He addressed his words to her even as his eyes stayed on Jane and Alec.

"Start from the beginning darling, we are all very eager to hear how you became acquainted with the Volturi." His voice was soft as he spoke to her but she knew it wasn't a request. She looked down as she felt the embarrassment come over her again before it was replaced by calm. Looking up at Jasper she sent him a small smile as she felt a trickle of confidence begin to fuel her. She guessed she better get it over with.

It had been two months since they left. Since Edward left. She was fine, that's what she kept saying. It's all she could say. And it was true, for most of the day. She would go to school and work, and she would hang out with her friends and she would be fine.

And then she would come home and do her homework and cry. And shower and cry. And get ready for bed and cry.

She felt pathetic, why was she still so sad? She knew he didn't want her, probably never wanted her. She reminded herself everyday of all his broken promises. His lies. He promised forever with her and like a stupid, naive teenage girl she believed him. She would only allow these thoughts to consume her at night when she knew no one could hear. She was so weak. Why couldn't she let him go?

Why wasn't she good enough for him?

The next morning she was tired, a result of crying herself to sleep every night, but like always she didn't let it show as she made her way to her car with a smile on her face. Stopping suddenly as a coil of magic tightened in the middle of her abdomen. She was in danger. Spinning suddenly, arms out and magic crackling in the air around her, she found two pairs of ruby red eyes staring back at her.

"Little did I know, they weren't actually dangerous at all." Peter snorted, interrupting Mia's story for the first time.

"Them? Not dangerous?" He gestured to the two siblings still standing just inside the door of the home. "Sorry to break it to you sugar, but I think there's been a mix-up." He stifled a chuckle as Charlotte shushed him.

Rolling her eyes, Mia continued with her recollection. "Well to make a long story short," She squinted at Peter for a moment. "Jane and Alec were actually friends of my mom's, and they said they came to check on me. Of course I didn't believe them at first, my mom and vampires? But they had pictures and so much information. Things I never even knew about her." Mia stopped to take a deep breath as she fought the wave of emotion threatening to overcome her.

The cullens stiffened at once as Jane began to walk toward Mia. They all watched apprehensively as she reached Mia's side and tried not to let their mouths drop when she wrapped her arm around Mia and pulled her close, saying nothing.

After a moment, Mia pulled away and though her eyes were slightly misty, she smiled as she continued, "Anyway, after they convinced me they weren't there to kill me" Here both Alec and Jane chuckled but let her continue "We talked about my mom, and they ended up staying for a couple weeks." She smiled at Jane and Alec who had come over to join his sister at her side. "They're really good friends, and they were there when I needed them."

"What the fuck?" Rosalie mumbled but was quickly silenced as Jane threw a glare her way, Emmett quickly stepping in front of her.

"How do you know them?" Mia tone was confused and Carlisle quickly stepped in telling her the tale of the fierce Volturi that he had spent time with, mindful of his words under the watchful eye of Jane.

"It's just that the Volturi guards that I know them to be are not as harmless as you seem to perceive them." Carlisle said in a calm tone, Jane glared at him but said nothing.

"Well I never said they were harmless, they are vampires of course." Mia wasn't shocked about that part. "They did a good job at downplaying the importance of the Volturi though." The big bad vampire government however, did catch her off guard. She was distracted, and distraction always leads to ruin.

Bella's scent hit Alec first and Mia froze as his eyes went black.

"Oh great." Esme let out a small sigh "What else can go wrong?" She tried to keep the panic off her face as Mia locked eyes with her for a moment.

"Don't jinx it." Mia smiled shakily as she quickly dampened Bella's scent once more.

"Explain. Now." Jane's voice was quiet with an undertone of steel as she looked to Carlisle.

Author's Note: Things finna get juicy now y'all. Hope you liked it, see y'all on the next one :)