Chapter 14

Author's Note: Song for this chapter is Happier by Ed Sheeran

Alice had been texting Edward all morning to no avail. She knew her emotions were getting out of control by the way Jasper had been sending her curious glances throughout the entire class period. Trying desperately to remain calm Alice sent him a reassuring smile, fake of course, not that he knew that. Rolling her eyes when he turned away she sent Edward another text. She'd be glad when she could be done with this foolishness, it was starting to annoy her.

Walking down the hall Alice gasped as she was pulled into a vision. Jasper quickly pulled her to the side before anyone could notice as he waited for her to come back to the present. He was confused as he felt more and more anger swell within her as the vision continued. Rubbing his hands soothingly down her arms Jasper tried to soothe his mate, and hoped that the vision would be over soon.

Alice already had her phone out before the vision was even over. She allowed Jasper to hold her as she sent Bella a text. As soon as she sent the text she was pulled into a small vision, it only lasted for about 10 seconds, but what Alice saw made a grin appear on her face.

"What's going on Alice? What did you see? Do we need to be worried?" Jasper could feel the Major rattling in his cage as he looked at the smirk on his wife's face.

"Nothing, I thought it was going to be something bad, but it's fine honey. Guess what?" Alice was practically dancing as Jasper waited for her to tell him with an amused smile now that he didn't feel like they were in danger, although the Major was still itching to get out. He pushed to feeling back as he had been doing for years.

"What is it Alice?" Jasper wrapped his arm around her as he guided them to their next class.

"We're going to be playing baseball Wednesday." Alice's face held a grin full of promise as she thought of what the week had in store for her family and their 'guest'. She allowed Jasper to pull her down the hall as she relaxed, knowing that things were still going according to plan.

Mia's first shift flew by, probably because she was dreading the end of it. She waved goodbye to Mrs. Crowley as she left and turned toward the waiting silver Volvo. Taking a deep breath she walked over to it as Edward got out.

"How was work?" He held the passenger door open for her before closing it once she was safely inside.

"It was fine. I like it." Mia noticed that he was noticeably less outwardly affectionate than this morning and she was grateful. It would a lot easier to nip this in the bud if he wasn't actively pursuing her.

"That's good, so what did you want to talk about?" Edward was playing dumb and he knew it. Of course he knew what this conversation would be about, it was the reason he was actively keeping his eyes averted from her, and had promised himself that he wouldn't touch her. He couldn't, he had Bella, he needed to remember that.

"Can we go somewhere private? I don't really want the family eavesdropping." Edward Nodded and the car lapsed into a tense silence until he pulled onto a dirt road surrounded by trees. Mia turned in her seat to face him as the car stopped. "Edward you need to leave me alone."

She watched as he clenched his jaw for a moment before speaking. "I wasn't aware that I was bothering you." Mia scoffed

"That's bullshit and you know it." Lowering her voice to a whisper she said "I'm really trying to get over you, but you're making it really hard for me." Saying the words out loud brought tears to her eyes as she looked away from him.

"I'm sorry Mia, you know I never meant to hurt you." Edward grabbed her hand and began to rub soothing circles over it with his thumb.

"Then why did you leave? For her? I wasn't good enough." Mia's last words were a whispered statement as she desperately tried to hold back her tears.

"Of course you were good enough, you are good enough." Edward didn't know how to fix this, he couldn't hold her like he wanted to. He couldn't comfort her like he wanted to, he couldn't do anything. He gritted his teeth in frustration as Mia laughed bitterly at his words.

"Just not for you? You spew all that bullshit about soulmates and forever, only to break up with me the night before my birthday." Mia could feel herself getting angrier as she thought about all the pain he put her through. "Do you know how I felt after you left? You crushed my heart as if I meant nothing to you. You never responded to any of my texts or calls, and then everyone moved. I was alone and you didn't even care." Mia needed to get away from him, the memories of her pain was starting to overwhelm her. She quickly opened the door and got out.

"I did care Mia, I still care. I'm sorry I broke your heart, but I broke mine too. Please just listen to me." Edward appeared in front of Mia as she tried to walk away. Edward could feel his heart ache as he saw the trails of tears on her cheeks. He cupped her face as he used his thumbs to wipe them away.

"Nothing you can say can make it better. I just need you to stay away from me. You're happy now, I just want to be happy too. Please." Mia pleaded with him as more tears escaped her eyes.

Edward wanted to tell her that he wasn't happy. That she made him happy, and they could start over and be happy again. He wanted to lean down and kiss her lips, he wanted to show her that he was still hers. But he wasn't, and they weren't together anymore. Bella was his future now, and that was the only reason he said "Okay, if it's what you really want. I'll leave you alone." Swallowing his own tears, Edward headed back toward the car.

The ride back home was painfully silent as they both tried to come to terms with the conversation that they had just had. When Edward pulled into the garage Mia fled into the house without a glance back at him. Sighing heavily Edward rubbed his chest and wished, for just a moment, that he could cry.

Author's Note: Hey ya'll I'm back. Mia and Edward going through it ain't they? What is Alice up to? Idk yet, but I'll figure it out Let me know what you thought of the chapter :) See you on the next one.