Farewell, Iris

Chapter 30

Silus looked up from his novel, his eyes gazing over the rim of his reading glasses when he had heard the shatter of glass. He grabbed the bookmark on the table beside his bed, placing it in his book in order to mark his place before placing the book itself onto the nightstand.

He opened the stand's first drawer and pulled out the heavy black box in order to place it atop the nightstand. He quickly put in the code, 0521 (Codi's birthday), and it let out a quiet beep before his hand easily slipped around the box's components' handle.

He grabbed six of the twelve blanks within the box (Codi had demanded he get rid of any actual bullets when she found out about the revolver) and swiftly placed them in the revolver's chamber when the noise of glass being crunched on echoed down the hallway.

He slid his reading glasses off his nose, tucking them into the collar of his shirt as he cocked the hammer down.

"I told you to be quiet, not break the fucking window!" A masculine voice whisper-yelled, their voice still loud in the silent home. Silus slid his feet into a comfy pair of moccasins, the revolver held calmly by his side as he walked towards his reading den's door.

"Relax, bro. I've been stalking this place for a month and the owner's been gone this whole week! Chick's pretty loaded too! Bitch has a game room, bro! Classics!" A more nasally pitched voice countered its partners, the burglar not even trying to lower the pitch of their voice.

"They'll fetch enough bread to retire! Nerds will waste millions on those lame little arcade machines!"

"Will you quiet down!? Christ, Seth."

"Hey bro, codenames! I'm 'Nightcrawler' when robbing these joints!" 'Seth' complained, Silus looking down at his revolver to ensure the safety was off before placing his hand on the door's handle.

The ex-royal guard waited until the heavy footfalls began to resonate in front of his room before swiftly opening the door and pressing the revolver's muzzle against one of the burglars' temples.

"Gentlemen. I'd advise you to refrain from doing anything more foolish than what you've already done."

"Bloodstains are such a pain to get out of the carpet after all."
< >
Russet and Orange released soft mews of intrigue and curiosity as they roamed in and out of the small pet carrier the humans had brought into the room earlier in the day. Russet rising onto her hind legs and trying to sniff at the top of it before going back onto all fours and looked towards the humans.

The intimidating one was placing a couple of large bags next to the door with the soft one packing up a small metal-looking rectangle into a smaller bag that hung across her torso.

The red-furred kitten let out a mew, Codi looking towards her and flashed her dulled canines before continuing to put stuff in her bag.

A soft knock made both humans and kittens look towards the door, a look of wariness and just plain exhaustion taking over the soft human's face. The intimidating one looked through a tiny dot at the high part of the door before looking back to the soft one. Russet sat on her hind legs, her tail curling around her paws as she watched the humans; Orange still exploring the bag beside them.

"It's your grandmother." Nicky explained, Codi letting out a soft sigh.

"You can let her in."

Nicky opened the door, pine-green locking with hazel as Iris gave the blonde a soft grin.

"Nicky."

"Iris." Nicky greeted in return before opening the door wider and letting the older woman walk inside. Iris walked into her youngest granddaughter's hotel room, her eyes taking notice of the luggage beside the door before she looked towards Codi. The elder Edwards' fingers tightening against the old envelope that was held in her hands.

"Codi. I heard Win would be going with you. 'Wanted some Floridian French Toast', she said."

"Yeah. Philly doesn't have florida toast but they have a bell."

"A big bell. Gonna go make Woo-girl help me catch a taxi." Nicky corrected as she picked up their luggage and headed out the door. Codi gave the departing blonde a fond shake of her head before looking back to her grandmother.

"A big bell."

"Americans always have to brag about size." Iris sighed goodheartedly, Codi letting out a soft chuckle. The two stirred in silence before the elder spoke up once more.

"...You'll keep an eye on her, won't you?"

"Of course, Grandmother."

"Thank you, Codi."

"...I'm sorry."

"What for?"

"Not helping you or Win sooner. For being prejudiced of something that I didn't try to truly understand. For passing that arrogance to Dalia and Dallas...For everything, Codi." Iris spoke, her hazel eyes turning a soft gold due to the light sheen that now glossed over them.

Codi looked over her grandmother, the older woman's head bowed slightly as she kept her gaze on the desk that seperated them. The younger Edwards released a soft sigh before she walked around the desk in order to stand in front of Iris.

Iris lifted her gaze, hazel locking on hazel as Codi brought a hand up and towards her grandmother's face. She curled her index and middle finger and placed them on either side of the tip of Iris's nose. She lightly held the appendage and shook it gently.

"It's alright, Grandmother. I don't hold anything against you."

"You should."

"You're right. You've done some bad things. But never evil things and never intentionally. But you've also done more good things then bad."

"Besides, I don't want you seeking repentance for your daughter and her family. You aren't at fault for what Dallas did and what Dax never bothered to do." Codi finished, shaking her grandmother's nose one last time before letting it go and walking towards Orange and Russet.

Iris watched as Codi gently guided the two kittens into the comfy-looking pet carrier beside them, Russet giving her a soft lick on her palm before forcing her brother deeper into the carrier with a weak hiss.

"I understand, Codi."

"Good. Now, I have to make sure Win isn't groping Nicky. I love her but she really does forget about personal boundaries alot."

"She does, doesn't she?" Iris grinned softly as Codi carefully cradled the pet carrier in her arms. Orange staring out the little window in it with big blue eyes.

"You needn't worry about a taxi. I have Reggie waiting to take you three to the airport downstairs."

"You didn't have to."

"I wanted to. Also here."

The obviously aged envelope Iris had been holding was finally passed to Codi, the brunette's eyes widening at the familiar but old handwriting at the center of it.

'Codi' in black ink was the only thing at the front of the envelope but the calligraphic font was what made her look back up at her grandmother.

"He wrote it about a month or two before his heart gave out. He planned to send it to you. I found it in his bedside drawer next to some stamps and a little sticky with your address on it." Iris explained softly, Codi letting out a soft huff.

"Grandfather was always so old-fashioned."

"Yes. Yes, he was...Be well, Codi."

"I will..." Codi whispered as Iris headed to the door first. She balanced the two kittens on her forearm in order to slip the envelope into her messenger bag before turning towards her grandmother.

"Grandmother."

"Hm?"

"I love you."

Iris paused at the room's threshold, her throat bobbing slightly and she turned to look at her youngest grandchild from over her shoulder. Her left hand lifted to lightly rest against the cherry-wood made threshold, the fluorescent lights in the Hotel's hallway making the worn golden wedding band still on her ring finger shimmer softly.

"I love you too, Campbell. I always will."