A simple Answer for a simple Question

Chapter 48

Codi let out a soft murmur as she lifted her head off the pillow it was resting on. An irritated grumble was heard behind her before she felt herself get pulled tighter against the body laying next to her, Nicky's arm staying firmly around her waist.

The brunette sighed softly even as her lips curled into a small grin, turning to brush her lips against Nicky's jawline before carefully easing herself off the bed. She stretched her arms over her head as she headed into the bathroom, Russet lifting her head from where it was resting on Orange's stomach to watch the Soft One.

Russet lifted herself up off the big pillow-bed that she shared with her brother, stretching out her little hind legs and then her front legs before shaking her fur out. She moved her tail out of reach when Orange tried batting it before trotting to the side of the bed the Intimidating One was laying on.

She settled on her back paws, her front resting against the side of the bed, before letting out a 'mew' when she couldn't see the human. She stretched out her left front paw as she tried to bat at the human, another 'mew' leaving her when she couldn't reach.

Her ears perked at the groan that rumbled above her before a hand moved over the bed's edge and curled underneath Russet's belly. A small squeak left her as she was lifted off the floor, her tiny claws coming out and hooking into the duvet when she was placed on the bed.

The hand moved away from her belly, Russet turning to watch it move and tilted her head when she saw it disappear behind the Intimidating One's head. She re-sheathed her claws and patted closer to the slumbering human, climbing up onto the human's belly and laid down on her chest.

Russet let out another 'mew' only for the human to release another groan. It rumbling through her chest and Russet's little body.

"Hush you. You're already using me as a damn pillow." Nicky grumbled at the kitten as she kept her eyes closed, Russet letting out another much quieter 'mew' before laying her head down atop of her paws.

The two of them fell back asleep, not seeing Codi look at them with a grin before grabbing her phone.

She took a quick picture of the duo, stuffing her phone into her sleep pants pocket before heading out of her room. Orange moving onto his back as he went back to sleep, his paws lazily hanging in the air.

Codi hummed softly as she headed down the stairs, her thoughts on her story and how to connect the chapter she just finished with the one now being built in her head, when she heard hushed words.

"What do you mean she was in a fight? Kenzie doesn't fight, she's a pacifist." Seth questioned as he watched Jacob un-roll his sleeves, the eldest brother's jaw being bunched uncomfortably tight.

"I don't know, Seth. Her fucking principal called and said she was in a fight and told me to come down. I'll be back before Silus or Codi even know I left."

"I doubt that. Silus knows everything in this house. It gets a bit frightening sometimes." Codi spoke as she came into the brothers' line of sight, the two of them looking to her.

"Codi-" Jacob started.

"Come on. Silus will drive us." Codi interrupted as she moved past them to grab her coat, putting it on as Jacob's brow furrowed.

"...Us?"

"You did intend to leave without informing your employer. It's only fair for Master Codi to know why." Silus spoke from behind Seth, the man jumping as he turned to look at him.

"Christ on a stick, dude! You and your fucking ninja skills." He huffed, Silus arching a brow at Seth.

"Stay here and finish your work. Jacob and I will finish ours when we return." He told Seth, the younger Underwood pursing his lips before giving a nod and walked towards the kitchen.