Ninja Star and a Strawberry Gin Smash

Chapter 56

"Jacob! Hey, Jacob!" Seth called out in a loud whisper when he spotted his big brother passing by his room. The eldest Underwood paused in his walk and stepped into Seth's room, the younger of the two having a small plain black box in his lap.

"You think Kenz is gonna like the new school?" Seth asked as Jacob stepped into his room. He moved to sit down beside his little brother, Seth shifting the box in his lap a bit higher.

"We can only hope. The headmistress seemed nice."

"Yeah, she did. She kinda reminded me of a wolf though."

"You too?" Jacob hummed, Seth nodding his head as he shifted the box once more. The eldest Underwood looked back to the box before reaching a hand out and tapped it with a finger.

"So what's in the box?"

"Ah, come on man! Quote it proper! Ya gotta scream and all that!" Seth chuckled and even managed to make Jacob let out a huff through his nose.

"Ya gonna tell me or what?"

"Okay, Okay. Prepare to be amazed, dear brother of mine!" Seth declared before pulling the box's cover off with a flourish. Jacob leaned forward to look into the box, his head tilting slightly at its contents.

"A ninja star?"

"An authentic Ninja Star! It was made in Hokkaido too, dude!" Seth answered, a childish joy in his tone as Jacob continued to stare at the multi-pointed piece of metal.

It was only one and sat in the center of the box with it being laid atop of a pink silk velvet cloth. He reached for it, holding it between his thumb and index finger.

"Does it work?"

"Let's try it out!" Seth spoke as he rose from his bed and moved to the door, closing it to reveal the dart board hanging off the back of it. Jacob looked from the board to his little brother, the excitement radiating off him making the eldest shrug.

"I get to throw it first."

"What? No fair! I bought it!"

"Yeah but I'm the oldest. So I go first."

< >

"Got a poison of choice?" Kai asked the brunette after she sat down at the bar. Her gaze flickered to the man throwing back another shot of vodka to the right of her before refocusing on the brunette.

"Gin." She answered, her blue eyes connecting with Kai's brown.

"Which one?" Kai joked, her lips curled into a grin at the woman’s confused expression. She leaned against the bar, one of her hands reaching under it and wrapping around the Gin bottle's neck.

"The booze or the lady? Both are pretty good at making you forget whatever's going on in your life."

"The booze." The brunette answered, Kai letting out a low hum at the British accent as she grabbed a shot glass and poured the clear liquid. She pushed the glass towards the brunette with a finger, her eyes flickering to the man as he all but chugged the beer glass that was beside his turned shot glass.

"I'm going to need more than that." The brunette grumbled after downing her shot, Kai's brows arching upward for a second before pouring her another.

"Ah, tryin' to drown your woes?"

"...Pretty much."

"Alright. But I say when you've had enough, Blue." Kai told, her voice signaling no argument. The brunette stared at the bartender for a moment.