27

I think of the night in the park. It was getting dark and we stayed up for hours... what a time, what a time, what a time.

There are a few very pretty lakes in New York.

Savannah had never seen any of them, but there was a first time for everything.

Pietro had parked the car next to a very pretty and very large lake. He climbed up on the roof of the car and held out his hand to help her climb on as well. She shook her head with a smile on her face before accepting his hand. She'd never eaten on top of a car before either.

Today was just full of trying new things, wasn't it?

Pietro took out two boxes from the bag. Savannah opened hers to find her burger and some fries. He also handed her a vanilla milkshake.

"How's training going?" asked Pietro after a few moments of the two of them just eating their food.

Savannah shrugged, "it's fine I guess" she muttered as she took another bite of her food.

Pietro raised an eyebrow, "what do you mean?" 

"Hm?" asked Savannah, confused about what he was talking about.

"You didn't sound very happy about it," he pointed out.

Savannah placed a fry in her mouth and thought about it. She liked the training, she liked having something to do and somebody to fight. She even liked that she was getting to spend more time with the Avengers, which was also something she never thought she'd say.

But there was still that little voice in her head-

"It's good" she corrected, hoping to steer the conversation away since she didn't really have an answer she was willing to tell him.

"Well now I don't believe you," said Pietro.

Savannah rolled her eyes, "just stay out of it alright?!"

Silence...

Well, now Savannah felt bad.

She hadn't meant it to come out like that.

She was so used to the champions always being mean to each other, to the trainers and the leaders always yelling, she still hasn't gotten used to the fact that the Avengers didn't do that kind of thing.

Savannah sighed and put her milkshake down. She looked up at the stars, not wanting to look him in the face as she did this.

"Sorry I just- it's just weird" she tried.

There was a few seconds of silence, she could feel his gaze on her.

"Weird why?" he asked. Savannah was relieved to hear that he didn't sound angry. He sounded interested, confused like he wanted to help.

Savannah wasn't used to that either.

"I'm training to kill them," she said. It wasn't anything she hadn't done before, her entire life she's been training to kill people.

She just never thought-

Never thought it would be them.

"You don't have to," he said. Savannah snapped her head toward him. "You don't have to participate in that fight if you don't want to," he added.